Adjustomatic bridge posts too small!

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Ricey
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Adjustomatic bridge posts too small!

Post by Ricey » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:38 am

I bought a used MIJ Fender Kurt Cobain Mustang with adjustomatic bridge.  The diameter of the holes in the bridge that accept the bridge posts is too large.  The bridge easily wiggles forward and back on the posts when I use the vibrato bar, sending the guitar out of tune and messing with the intonation.  I have two questions:

1.  Why would Fender design it this way?  I have a MIM Classic Player Jaguar HH that also came stock with an adjustomatic bridge and it does not have this issue.  There is a large screw on top of my Jag bridge post to tighten down the bridge so it doesn't move, just like a Gibson Tune-o-matic. My Stang' does not have these screws and I have looked at many online images of KC Mustangs and this appears to be the stock configuration.

2.  Can this problem be fixed; e.g., cut up one of those metal Starbucks straws or wrap small pieces of a cut up aluminum can or something similar around the bridge posts?  The guitar goes severely out of tune with vibrato use and my intonation is spotty.  My adjustomatic equipped Jag's intonation is spot on and it stays in tune, even with heavy bar abuse.

Any advice would be appreciated

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Adjustomatic bridge posts too small!

Post by wproffitt » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:07 pm

So, to be clear, is the bridge itself rocking on the posts or are the posts rocking in the post holes? Or, is it both? I would think that:
1) buying a bridge with tighter tolerances or one that locks (like a tonepros or Faber) would do the trick here if it’s the first thing.
2) a couple of turns of aluminum shielding tape around the bridge thimbles would do the trick if it’s the second thing.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:07 pm

Cobain liked tune-o-matic bridges. There are standard / original TOMs and modern TOMs. The original had thin threaded posts and thumbwheel, and is a simple retrofit on a Mustang, with no need to redrill (which may be why Cobain went that way, and Fender copied). You can tape it to tame the wobble. Or you can drill for the bigger posts on a modern TOM ...
https://www.jag-stang.com/guitars/the-t ... ic-bridge/
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Ricey
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Ricey » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:14 pm

That link is spectacular...thanks!

Ricey
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Ricey » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:57 am

Proffit,

It is the second one. Where do I find aluminum shielding tape? I have never heard of it. Will it dampen transfer of string vibration from the bridge to the body or otherwise effect tone?