Swope Descendant Vibrato

For help with setups and other technical issues.
User avatar
dc
Expat
Expat
Posts: 2042
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:57 pm
Location: seattle

Re: Swope Descendant Vibrato

Post by dc » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:51 am

FIREBOT wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:40 pm
I got one.
how does this work? from the literature:
Also new to the Descendant design is a top adjusting tension screw for the vibrato arm. Accessed through the arm hole in the top plate, you can take your arm out after every gig, adjust it to be free swinging or set to stay where you put it. No problem.
in this land / right now / some are insane / and they're in charge

User avatar
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 14886
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:25 pm
Location: Saint Louis, MO

Re: Swope Descendant Vibrato

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:47 am

I was on the Swope site and I see that Acme Guitars here in St. Louis is now a dealer of Swope.

It really is a cool store. They did some work for me once and I bought a bass from them. They know their stuff.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

User avatar
adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:28 am
Contact:

Re: Swope Descendant Vibrato

Post by adamrobertt » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:19 am

parry wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:19 pm
oid wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:33 pm
Looks like hell for string changes, perhaps they are keyhole with strings installed from the front?
This question has been on my mind since seeing these ^^
Anyone?
? There won't be any tension on the plate with the strings off. You'll probably be able to pull the plate up (which will be floppy) and easily put strings in. Just like every other JM vibrato.

User avatar
parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 8234
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Contact:

Re: Swope Descendant Vibrato

Post by parry » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:46 am

adamrobertt wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:19 am
parry wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:19 pm
oid wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:33 pm
Looks like hell for string changes, perhaps they are keyhole with strings installed from the front?
This question has been on my mind since seeing these ^^
Anyone?
? There won't be any tension on the plate with the strings off. You'll probably be able to pull the plate up (which will be floppy) and easily put strings in. Just like every other JM vibrato.
I suppose so - if you had them all off. Occasionally, I'll break only one string and need to replace that very quickly. Sorry for being so utterly vague and non-specific again. That aside.. a few posts after mine, it was verified that they're key-holed and front-loading. Thanks anyway though.
;)
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

User avatar
jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2159
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 1:53 am
Location: bath, UK
Contact:

Re: Swope Descendant Vibrato

Post by jorri » Sat May 02, 2020 9:46 am

I'd be interested if you can block upwards travel, like having the trem lock engaged. Wouldn't be a game changer though, as I probably require this because of a less stable trem.

^^the strings are loaded from the front via 'keyhole' slot according to the site. Improvement IMHO as I am sure dragging a string through a metal hole the full length isn't always good for it.

User avatar
bodhi
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 12:47 pm

Re: Swope Descendant Vibrato

Post by bodhi » Sat May 02, 2020 10:47 am

Looks cool and functional, I'd in particularly appreciate the screw tension on the arm since mine doesn't stay place, but the price delivered to Europe after import taxes and everything doesn't really feel reasonable. A quick calculation makes it ~ 250€, when I bought my Fender AVRI for around 110€. Maybe if some more local dealers pick them up...
Jazzmaster project (got a body, placeholder neck, some pickups and ideas)
Tokai Telecaster Thinline with Creamery Pickups Filtertron and Tapped Tele
Blake Mills-inspired Strat project w/ Gold Foil and slide pickup

User avatar
jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2159
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 1:53 am
Location: bath, UK
Contact:

Re: Swope Descendant Vibrato

Post by jorri » Sat May 02, 2020 6:11 pm

bodhi wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:47 am
Looks cool and functional, I'd in particularly appreciate the screw tension on the arm since mine doesn't stay place, but the price delivered to Europe after import taxes and everything doesn't really feel reasonable. A quick calculation makes it ~ 250€, when I bought my Fender AVRI for around 110€. Maybe if some more local dealers pick them up...
My worry too. Its not much more than an AVRI trem. Certainly not mastery price. But once adding all the postage, usually 30-40% is well over double. I hope it can get distribution.

User avatar
andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6155
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Swope Descendant Vibrato

Post by andy_tchp » Sat May 02, 2020 6:18 pm

bodhi wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:47 am
Looks cool and functional, I'd in particularly appreciate the screw tension on the arm since mine doesn't stay place, but the price delivered to Europe after import taxes and everything doesn't really feel reasonable. A quick calculation makes it ~ 250€, when I bought my Fender AVRI for around 110€. Maybe if some more local dealers pick them up...
Put a tiny kink/bend in the short section of the arm. It'll stay put wherever you leave it then.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

User avatar
jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2159
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 1:53 am
Location: bath, UK
Contact:

Re: Swope Descendant Vibrato

Post by jorri » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:13 am

UK seller now
https://www.homeoftone.co.uk/collection ... vibrato-uk

Although, that is kind of the price I would expect for importing anyway, I guess it could be potentially more, or less.

User avatar
hillerheilman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:42 pm

Re: Swope Descendant Vibrato

Post by hillerheilman » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:42 am

Okay, somebody help me out here. So the point of this bridge is essentially to increase the angle of the strings behind the bridge, therefore increasing downward pressure on the saddles, resulting in more sustain?
I mean, sounds neat to me. But is it noticeable enough to be worth replacing my mastery trem?

User avatar
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6273
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:05 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Swope Descendant Vibrato

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:09 am

If you're someone who feels the need to add the Staytrem collet to the standard tremolo, this one seems to address that 'problem' too, so maybe you could add another £32 + P&P to the cost of an AVRI trem for the price comparison.

User avatar
jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2159
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 1:53 am
Location: bath, UK
Contact:

Re: Swope Descendant Vibrato

Post by jorri » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:07 am

Its the arm placement with possibility to vary it between loose-fixed.
its presumably a better trem, without clicks and such. well, better than a japanese one I guess.
its the break angle whilst preserving a length of string behind the bridge, so potentially fixes some issues there, perhaps not requiring an aftermarket bridge.
as far as i know those are the only problems with the trem.

I'd be interested if it meant the strings now rest on the intonation screws. adjusting them higher may mean the front screw is where they rest on instead! but its adjustable.

i really need a new trem, and it just seems worth something fancy than jutst a stock avri.

User avatar
jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2159
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 1:53 am
Location: bath, UK
Contact:

Re: Swope Descendant Vibrato

Post by jorri » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:11 am

hillerheilman wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:42 am
Okay, somebody help me out here. So the point of this bridge is essentially to increase the angle of the strings behind the bridge, therefore increasing downward pressure on the saddles, resulting in more sustain?
I mean, sounds neat to me. But is it noticeable enough to be worth replacing my mastery trem?
I would say, rather than sustain, more like the associated problems of the stock bridge design, like buzzing and all that.

If you've got a mastery and possibly an aftermarket bridge maybe there is less change.
But it was an idea floating around way back, that instead of moving the trem closer like 'classic player' move it 'down' so that you get all the 'stock bridge and behind the bridge mojo' whilst fixing it, maybe even resolving need to shim.

User avatar
hillerheilman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:42 pm

Re: Swope Descendant Vibrato

Post by hillerheilman » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:51 am

jorri wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:11 am
hillerheilman wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:42 am
Okay, somebody help me out here. So the point of this bridge is essentially to increase the angle of the strings behind the bridge, therefore increasing downward pressure on the saddles, resulting in more sustain?
I mean, sounds neat to me. But is it noticeable enough to be worth replacing my mastery trem?
I would say, rather than sustain, more like the associated problems of the stock bridge design, like buzzing and all that.

If you've got a mastery and possibly an aftermarket bridge maybe there is less change.
But it was an idea floating around way back, that instead of moving the trem closer like 'classic player' move it 'down' so that you get all the 'stock bridge and behind the bridge mojo' whilst fixing it, maybe even resolving need to shim.
Okay, that makes sense. I can’t say I’ve really experienced any issues with my particular guitar insofar as buzzing is concerned, but if I do another one with a jm style bridge I may go for this.

User avatar
arkivel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1063
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:30 pm
Location: Burnaby, BC

Re: Swope Descendant Vibrato

Post by arkivel » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:24 pm

I suggested something along the lines of this vibrato years ago here. Kudos to swope making this happen. Looks like a very well engineered piece.

Post Reply