Cutting flat wound strings - bend first?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Cutting flat wound strings - bend first?

Post by JVG » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:22 pm

I'm not sure why it's taken me so long, but I just got around to installing some flat wounds. For some reason the low E is sounding pretty dead (I've played flatwounds before, so I know what to expect).

I'm using (for better or worse) Daddario Chromes, which have a hex core. I was under the impression that hex core strings do not require a 90 degree bend before cutting, unlike some round core strings.

Have I got this wrong? Any other ideas why I've got a fairly dead low E, even though the tension feels right?

Thanks!
J.
Last edited by JVG on Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Re: Cutting flat wound strings - bend first?

Post by Telliot » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:32 pm

Hmmm, not sure what you're experiencing, but I've got Chromes on 3 of my guitars, and I've never cut them differently than my roundwound strings.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:07 pm

Good to know, thanks.

Maybe I just got a dud string.

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:23 pm

You would only need the bend if the cut is within the wound part of the string, and even then it is not going to be a huge help. I generally just give those few extra winds around the post that saves me from having to cut on the wound parts, this does not work well with many guitars though and would lead to a silly amount of string on the post and even possible pinching shut of split posts.

This could just be a guage issue as well, what is the tension like on that E? Does the deadness go away if you tune up a semitone or two? If so try a heavier E or switch to a string like Thomastik Infelds which are pure nickel and have a nice brightness which the Chromes lack.

Could also be a nut or saddle issue, or even bridge or pickups or a group effort by all of the above, more information about the instrument in question could help.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:02 am

I did cut the wound section of the string. I'm just so much in the habit, I was on autopilot.

Guitar is a fairly standard JM, with bone nut and Staytrem bridge. Never had dead string issues with previous string sets on this guitar, although it's only seen round wounds before.

Cheers
J.

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:23 pm

JVG wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:02 am
I did cut the wound section of the string. I'm just so much in the habit, I was on autopilot.
It should not be an issue, you would know it if the winding loosened. I suspect this is a nut and or tension issue.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

B
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by B » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:12 am

It very likely could be a dud string if talking about D'Addario Chromes. We (the shop I work at) have been getting so many dead sounding flatwound strings from that brand recently that I just quit using them completely. Not sure what has changed with those lately but they are absolute crap now.