av bridge vs japan bridge vs mexican bridge vs aftermarket

For help with setups and other technical issues.
ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

av bridge vs japan bridge vs mexican bridge vs aftermarket

Post by ludobag1 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:17 am

do you know a way to identify the origine of a bridge ?
i know av65 have the screws for the high of the bridge in the legs with a grooves
av 62 not have this grooves
but how to know if a bridge is av62 /japan/mexican or aftermarket ?
i am suspicious cause i have order a bridge (normally us one) but i find it have lot of gap in the screws ,and it was deliver with some thimble that seems to be the japanese one* Ø ext 8 mm rather than 9.5 mm in the us version (*or it is the new fender us thimble ?)and in a scelled bag but not the fender labeled bag i have with the 2 others
the allen wrench for it seems to be in inch (1.58 mm) but a metric one is 1.5 mm and i think the same wrench work for the 2
i have try the screws roberto supply with his larger bridge for VI and it works then seems to be in inch
if you have knowledge tell me ,please

the one i have recept with the weird thimble

this one av62

this one av65

this one on my classic lacquer jag (originale to the guitar )

and this is a mustang bridge that i don't know is origin
no gap beetween saddle but the screws of legs are chrome not black

a japan cij (thanks Igorilla)

cij (thanks timtam)

Allparts

Japanese Hosco ...

Last edited by ludobag1 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Igorilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: av bridge vs japan bridge vs mexican bridge vs aftermarket

Post by Igorilla » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:49 am

I would like to know this as well!
And moreover, where can I buy an AV 65 bridge?
I didn't know that Fender is selling them as replacement parts.

Francer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Francer » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:35 am

<edit>
I should learn to read a bit more carefully, I just suggested something you’d already tried :fp:

For the record every piece of Fender hardware I have ever purchased, right down to truss rod washers came in Fender branded packaging. YMMV.

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:13 am

for the av 65 parts stratophere on the bay (a package with trem bridge arm and screws for trem),fender doesn't seems to sale them ,only AV 62part are available
i buy the bridge i ask for 40 € not a too bad price when you see at thomann at more or less 100 € (they explain on the site they have them in packaging separatly cause they buy in bulk( France guitare)
what make me thinking it is not a legit is the gap in the different screws (weird i Don't remember my av62 have lot of gap like this) and the solder of the legs look different (than the 65 or 62) the next time i need a bridge i will order on bay a real one who will arrive in fender packaging
and also the thimble make me think it is more a japan cause in the same order i have order thimble in spares who arrived in fender packaging and are the normal one (i have already drill my body for and imagine my surprise when i try this deliver with the bridge 8mm instead of 9,5 mm ,i have compare with the one one my VI to be sure cause i they are easyer to extract than the jazzmasters

and also if it is a japan one i am not scare about cause in my cij it works really well with the help of wax to avoid unthreading ,i am just suspicious they sale a generic one for the double of the amount it cost ,but generic are metric not in inch as itbseems to be ? then avri bridge + japan thimble or new fender thimble ? i think a forumite buy some thimble and recept not the standard avri and it was in the good packaging
Last edited by ludobag1 on Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Igorilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Igorilla » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:08 am

ludobag1 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:13 am
for the av 65 parts stratophere on the bay (a package with trem bridge arm and screws for trem),fender doesn't seems to sale them ,only AV 62part...
Thanks! I'll have a look at the Stratosphere shop on EBay as I need to order some other parts as well and hope to get combined shipping rate. A quick look at their shipping rates to Europe shocked me...

B
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by B » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:03 am

Igorilla wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:49 am
I would like to know this as well!
And moreover, where can I buy an AV 65 bridge?
I didn't know that Fender is selling them as replacement parts.
Go to an authorized Fender Dealer and have them order the part directly for you. They should have lists of individual parts and their corresponding Fender part number. They may or may not show up to the dealer in "Fender packaging", and immediate availability may vary.

Also make sure you are dealing with somebody competent and not just somebody who is going to see "Jazzmaster/Jaguar Bridge" as a part description and thinks "That must be it.". There are several different Jazzmaster/Jaguar/Mustang bridges from various countries of manufacture... Each with their own Fender specific part number. The part number you want to order for an American Vintage Reissue bridge is 0054460000. Yes, the exact number of zeros matter in Fender world. Also don't be surprised if you order the correct part for your USA guitar and find out that the country of origin isn't necessarily the United States. That's why Fender headstocks now legally have to say "Corona, CA" and not "Made in USA" anymore. (Except for potentiometers, most any USA model hardware part that has machined threads is actually made in the United States though).

I'm not sure of every exact manufacturing difference between USA vs Import bridges enough to list them. I can just look/feel and tell, but I've worked for a Fender dealer/service shop for 18 years and set up hundreds of them (literally). Usually just the look of the finish and overall machining is different. Metric vs Imperial screw size/thread size is also a dead giveaway. Make sure you order the USA part. The tolerances/machining/overall fit&finish on the non-USA import bridges is pretty craptastic.

EDIT: I just saw most of you guys are outside of the United States... So parts availability through an actual dealer where you are located may be a completely different process and availability might be limited to just whatever retail packaged stuff they can order. That said, a little research online to find the exact part number and ordering online or from a US based dealer should still get you what you need.

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:31 pm

i have order here
https://www.franceguitare.fr/chevalets- ... e-usa.html
if you look at the reference seems to be the fender BG09N-005-4460-000

the thimble alone are the real fender one
https://www.franceguitare.fr/pieces-de- ... ender.html

but i see with no real fender package ,you can't be sure of the product

Igorilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Igorilla » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:07 pm

Thank you all for the information given so far!
Based on B's input I think that the best thing is to order from the US.

Ludobag, I should have a CIJ JM bridge somewhere which I'll try to find and compare to the picture in your first post.

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:27 pm

cool ,will post with the other ,then we see if we find difference ?

with a long thinking at looking the pics maybe this bridge is a mexican one
the hole in the legs for the high set up is bigger than the us one, like my classic lacquer and it is inch can be a mexican one
and the thimble deliver with it mexican thimble cause the bridge in my classic lacquer rock less du to thimble

also for stratosphere the fdp are from not cheap to outrageous for europe, the package bridge trem , trem arm tip plus screws are not really more high than if you buy from 2 or 3 sellers each parts ,then easyer to have the lot ,Don't remember but the tip and screws beacame free with the order
i saw a nice guard at lees than ten dollars with 46 doolars of fdp :fp:

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:37 pm

ludobag1 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:31 pm
but i see with no real fender package ,you can't be sure of the product
I find that legitimate Fender parts that I buy come in two different types of packaging. Here is the same 0054460000 bridge packaged in two different ways:

1. What you might call 'retail' packaging, with the Fender cardboard logo ...
http://darrenriley.com/store/fender-jag ... 054460000/

2. Fender 'Service Center' packaging, without the cardboard, but with genuine bar code / parts number sticker (same as on the back of cardboard in 1) on the plastic bag ...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Fender-Bri ... 2230350778

See the note on that ebay listing (excuse their caps) ...

"PLEASE NOTE: WE OFTEN RECEIVE THIS ITEM DIRECTLY FROM THE FENDER SERVICE CENTER AND IT ARRIVES WITHOUT FENDER AFTER-MARKET PACKAGING. BE ASSURED THE ITEM YOU ARE RECEIVING IS A GENUINE FENDER PRODUCT."
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:05 am

i know this ,i have already recept parts in the 2 package ,but as i said the thimble deliver with are not the us one ,then a bridge with lot of gap seems to be for me not the us one
i find difficult to trace really if the bridge is an us one ,for example if you buy one used you have to trust the seller if he have open the package and or seling a guitar one ,there is no really way to identify the origin contrary to trem or guard (no i can see if the jazzmaster guard is for us or import by eyes)

Igorilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Igorilla » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:34 am

Here are some pics of my CIJ bridge from 90s:
The bridge feels pretty light. My kitchen scale displays 52 g.
(Klick on the pics to expand them!)

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:49 am

Thanks for the pics ,will post them in first post

the weight is something i don't have think ! ,my kitchen scale is enought precise but the one have recept is 50 gr more or less and the mustang is 70 gr ,the mustang weight more you feel it ,i have to scale an avri to see ,but the weight seems a good indication
also the finish, avri seems to not have burr ,they are better to look the angle are more rounder less sharp

Igorilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Igorilla » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:12 am

ludobag1 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:49 am
Thanks for the pics ,will post them in first post

the weight is something i don't have think ! ,my kitchen scale is enought precise but the one have recept is 50 gr more or less and the mustang is 70 gr ,the mustang weight more you feel it ,i have to scale an avri to see ,but the weight seems a good indication
also the finish, avri seems to not have burr ,they are better to look the angle are more rounder less sharp
The same here with my kitchen scale, I guess I have to consider +/- 4 g to the measurement taken.

One thing that I missed to mention: the height adjustment screws on the CIJ bridge are pretty loose, i.e. I can move them easily to the left/right/around.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:56 am

These two CIJ or MIJ just turned up locally ..
http://www.musicswopshop.com.au/stock?c ... SORTLATEST
(although pics look to be two pics of the same bridge)

This is Allparts ...

Japanese Hosco ...
http://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/jagua ... nt-bridge/
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.