Need advice with wiring rail pickups

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Perry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Need advice with wiring rail pickups

Post by Perry » Thu May 03, 2018 6:14 am

I am putting together a HSS Strat from parts many of which were given to me by a friend. The pickups in the guitar are a Dimarzio Mega Drive humbucker in the bridge and two single coil sized rail humbuckers in the middle and neck positions.

I have two switches in the guitar. The two rail humbuckers go to a Tele 3-way lever switch, which gives me neck, neck + middle, or just middle. The output from the Tele switch goes to one side of an on-on-on mini toggle switch. The Dimarzio humbucker goes to the other side of the mini toggle switch. The output of the toggle switch goes to the volume pot. This set-up gives me the option of having any individual, pair, or all three pickups on.

All works well except I have one issue, which I am not sure if it is a problem or just a characteristic of rail pickups. When either or both of the rail pickups are on, I get a buzzing sound if I touch the rails. This buzzing goes away if I touch any metal part of the guitar that is part of the ground. Even the rail on the Mega Drive humbucker has a faint buzzing when I touch it. (The Mega Drive humbucker has a rail on one coil and polepieces on the other.) However, the polepieces are quiet if I touch them. All pickups are quiet when on. It's only touching the rails that makes the buzzing.

The Tele switch is wired according to directions I found on the Internet. I checked ground continuity, and everything seems fine.

One thing I've noticed when doing research is that a Strat 3 way lever switch is wired differently from a Tele 3 way lever switch. I'm thinking of rewiring the Tele switch like a Strat switch and see what happens.

Any advice would be welcomed. I've never used rail pickups before, so I'm not sure what to expect from them.

Perry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Need advice with wiring rail pickups

Post by Perry » Tue May 08, 2018 2:55 am

I've been in contact with the online store where I purchased the pickups. According to him, when the pickups are made, the rails are not grounded. He suggested I could ground the rails from the bottom of the pickup running a wire to the ground connection.

At this time, the guitar is intonated and playable. I might ground the rails once I make a new nut for it or change the strings. Here's a photo of the guitar.