Short tailpiece on AVRI 62 JM (pic included)

For help with setups and other technical issues.
RaistMagus
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Short tailpiece on AVRI 62 JM (pic included)

Post by RaistMagus » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:28 am

Hi all

I finally got my first Jazzmaster and allthough it sounds good, I'm still trying to solve all its issues. Hopefully the last one is the fact that the vertical part of the tailpiece is very short. In the image below, the dimension shown with red arrows is shorter than normal. As a result, the ball ends of the strings are positioned like the red circle seen at the image. Thus I when I raise the trem arm I just crush the ball ends. This reduces my ability to bend up, and also breaks the high E string at the point after the ball end.

I have set up the tremolo system so that the lock can barely slide in/out when the strings are at rest, and when the lock is engaged there is no room for up-bends.

Are there any solutions for the short tailpiece, apart from replacing the whole tre assembly?

Thanks for reading :)

bluenote23
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Short tailpiece on AVRI 62 JM (pic included)

Post by bluenote23 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:33 am

I can't see the picture. If you're using Photobucket and haven't paid to show your pics on a 3rd party site, then they can't be seen on those sites. I think this may be what is happening in your case.

-=Todd Fox=-
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by -=Todd Fox=- » Wed May 02, 2018 5:09 am

RaistMagus wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:28 am
Hi all

I finally got my first Jazzmaster and allthough it sounds good, I'm still trying to solve all its issues. Hopefully the last one is the fact that the vertical part of the tailpiece is very short. In the image below, the dimension shown with red arrows is shorter than normal. As a result, the ball ends of the strings are positioned like the red circle seen at the image. Thus I when I raise the trem arm I just crush the ball ends. This reduces my ability to bend up, and also breaks the high E string at the point after the ball end.

I have set up the tremolo system so that the lock can barely slide in/out when the strings are at rest, and when the lock is engaged there is no room for up-bends.

Are there any solutions for the short tailpiece, apart from replacing the whole tre assembly?

Thanks for reading :)

http://s848.photobucket.com/user/RaistM ... j.jpg.html
Had to poke around photo bucket to find the pic. Hard to tell the real problem since it's just a diagram.
How long is the fulcrum plate (short one that screws to the top plate)? If it had it's angle set too far in, that could cause the angled part to be longer and not allow the string plate to go up far enough beyond the top plate. If that's the case you could try filing it down, but that moves the whole string assembly closer.
Given the fact that it should be an AVRI bridge, everyone seems to have some unreasonable holy reverence for those. I doubt many here would accept the bridge having that defect, but that may well be the case.
Any chance you could slack the strings enough to pull the bridge out and give photos/measurements? The diagram explains the problem, but doesn't give enough to diagnose it.
A product of a late 70's homesteading experiment.
You can't spell avarice without AVRI.

hwestman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hwestman » Mon May 07, 2018 5:32 am

Sounds like an issue of spring tension. Releasing some tension/pressure should raise the vertical part of the string plate.