Finally.

For help with setups and other technical issues.
mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Finally.

Post by mackerelmint » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:36 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:28 pm
Don't trust me, trust your eyes. Pour it in a glass. Watch how the head lapses into the side of the glass and hangs there weirdly. Why does it do that? That's not how beer is supposed to look. It seems to have some kind of chemical foaming agent to it.
I don't drink beer with my eyes, Larry. I couldn't give any fewer fucks about the foam sticking to the side of the glass, and I can't imagine it has a chemical foaming agent in it. What would that even be, soap or something? It doesn't taste soapy, it tastes fine. Malty and nice.

The guy standing up for Budweiser is telling me that High Life sucks because he thinks it's ugly. How about that!
This is an excellent rectangle

NICQ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NICQ » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:58 am

I accidentally went to a hipster craft beer pub last weekend... man, don't ask :fp:

While looking for an suiting meme I came across this

:D

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:25 am

The irony there is... layered. Ironyception. Trying to decide what is and isn't ironic about it is like calculating the square root of negative 1.

So do we quantify it as i, for "ironic"? Or as h for hipster? i is taken, but it just fits so well here.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:32 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:36 am
Larry Mal wrote:
Don't trust me, trust your eyes. Pour it in a glass. Watch how the head lapses into the side of the glass and hangs there weirdly. Why does it do that? That's not how beer is supposed to look. It seems to have some kind of chemical foaming agent to it.
I don't drink beer with my eyes, Larry. I couldn't give any fewer fucks about the foam sticking to the side of the glass, and I can't imagine it has a chemical foaming agent in it. What would that even be, soap or something? It doesn't taste soapy, it tastes fine. Malty and nice.

The guy standing up for Budweiser is telling me that High Life sucks because he thinks it's ugly. How about that!
No, if it had a chemical foaming agent in it then that would look as artificial as what it does have, but probably better. I have no words for what it does have in there. But if they can't get the head of the beer right, what faith can you have in the rest of it?

None. And you shouldn't, it's dreadful. Awful. Unbalanced, weird beer.

It's probably isinglass or something.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:40 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:32 am
mackerelmint wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:36 am
Larry Mal wrote:

No, if it had a chemical foaming agent in it then that would look as artificial as what it does have, but probably better. I have no words for what it does have in there. But if they can't get the head of the beer right, what faith can you have in the rest of it?

None. And you shouldn't, it's dreadful. Awful. Unbalanced, weird beer.

It's probably isinglass or something.
I can, and do, have plenty of faith in the rest of it, because it tastes good to me. And really, I don't see anything wrong with the head at all, but there we go again tasting with our eyes. That's not how it's done! Also, I say we save "unbalanced" for the IPAs of the world, or at least something truly awful like Ballantine.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:53 am

shadowplay wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:24 pm
Fuck that American Budweiser river deep and mountain high. It's roughly as appetising as a pint of cat piss but at least over the water here it's a handy pointer that the drinker in a clueless knob with a taste for every shite thing imaginable, so long as it's heavily advertised on the idiot box.

This is REAL Budweiser.
I have tried those too at some of the beer nerd bars. Something was lost in the translation or perhaps the journey across the ocean.

This is all just personal tastes; I don't particularly enjoy Lagers that have that Pilsner flavor profile. For euro-lager I enjoy the Polish takes like Żywiec and Okocim way more than the 'classic' style mega-lagers-- Stella, Heineken, Grolsch, Carlsberg, Pilsner-Urquell they are just as dreadful as Bud to my tastes.
Last edited by Jaguar018 on Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:56 am

Yeah, that's why I hate IPAs, because they are a gross exaggeration of one flavor in a beverage that can be rounded and balanced. A good beer can be sweet, sour, have good umami but still be clean and refreshing, can pair with food and stand on its own, all at the same time.

IPAs are a one trick pony, and the trick isn't very good. Fuck IPAs.

But the idea that beer isn't something to appreciate with the eyes is ludicrous, it's a beautiful beverage, golden (at times), sparkling, with a good head ideally bursting up and releasing aromas so that you begin to experience the beer with your nose before you even put it to your lips. Beer is not something that is only able to be appreciated by one sense. Of course it should be beautiful to look at. They work hard to make it be so, which is why beer isn't what it was centuries ago, a clouded, dark product with little to no head or carbonation. You'd never want that now which is why beer makers worked hard for millennia to make beer what it is today, a work of fucking art:

There's just something wrong with Miller High Life that they aren't able to achieve what all other quality American lager brewers make, a beautiful beverage that bursts with a strong and true head, that fades away quickly after releasing a clean nose, leaving behind a crisp and refreshing beer. The head of a beer is important, it's not just an afterthought, you know? It's an integral part of what makes beer be a beer and not a wine or a malt beverage of some kind.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:51 am

I like IPA's, didn't realize they were hipsterish. I think Hipsters will soon adopt High Life as their beer of choice, since it is a beer that is meant to be enjoyed only ironically.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:57 am

Isn't that Pabst?

I think IPA have run their course, now it's sour beer that is cutting edge.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:59 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:57 am
Isn't that Pabst?
I think people started labeling Pabst hipster enough that hipsters had to distance themselves. I'm not even joking about them going to High Life, though, just watch.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:09 am

I didn't even know, when "microbrews" were popular in the early 90s I got right on board, and then one day I was telling my friend Stan, "there's no fucking way I can afford to keep this up, we gotta start drinking Stag," and then I did and then I liked it and I had a couple last night.

And then it became hipster to do it. Maybe I was part of a trend and didn't know it. I never bought the fucking Pabst trucker hat or anything, though.

Then I started drinking Busch which has never been cool that I'm aware of but it's a very nice beer in my opinion.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:19 am

variety is the spice of life

I like all hipster beers, be they PBR, IPA, sours, or some coffee stout barley bullshit. Not that I'm anything more than a casual beer drinker, but I think hipster has been generally applied to anyone with any interest in the quality a particular thing.

High Life tastes like soda and there's something about that fizz for sure. It's like when you let a frosty or mcdonald's milkshake sit out and part of it evaporates and it's just grossness floating on water, and you realize thatwhat you were consuming was nowhere near ice cream. It's a beer-like concoction.

New Orleans just brought back Dixie Beer but I feel like I'd be racist to drink it because of the name :fp:
I don't buy Yuengling because the owner is supposedly a douchey Trump suppporter. Probably others are as well, but I'm glad Yuengling is the only one I know to avoid.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:46 am

I agree with Larry that sour beers seem to be the 'cool' beer these days for the beer nerds. IPAs have sort of run their course, but they are certainly popular with a certain set.

Trying to determine what the hipster thing is will never really work as they are mostly a punching bag. With that said, I don't think I've seen very many 'craft brewer' types that aren't white guys with beards. This is sloooooowly changing.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:58 am

It's funny, like a lot of people in our mass-produced world I always had the idea that it would be nice to see a return to smaller production, more hand-crafted and I guess "artisinal" things and then when that started actually happening it was so pretentious and obnoxious that I fucking grew to hate it. Like, I want a beer, not a defining lifestyle here.

Across the street from where I work is an "artisinal" lens crafting place. I'm not kidding.

Some time ago I was reading about hipster, artisinal chocolate and I came across these douchebags.

I'm submit that as the rock bottom. Style over substance, man, those guys irritate me.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:14 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:58 am
It's funny, like a lot of people in our mass-produced world I always had the idea that it would be nice to see a return to smaller production, more hand-crafted and I guess "artisinal" things and then when that started actually happening it was so pretentious and obnoxious that I fucking grew to hate it. Like, I want a beer, not a defining lifestyle here.

Across the street from where I work is an "artisinal" lens crafting place. I'm not kidding.

Some time ago I was reading about hipster, artisinal chocolate and I came across these douchebags.

I'm submit that as the rock bottom. Style over substance, man, those guys irritate me.
I have railed against "artisanal" stuff too. Much of it is a joke. I saw that hipster chocolate ruse article a while back. There are some things that I enjoy spending the extra money for, and other things I do not. If you want to go around confirming all your worst fears about people and companies, it's not too hard. The reality (for me at least) is that there are a lot of people and companies between #MAGA and the farm-to-table vegan trust fund Brooklyn hipster.

When I buy a 'craft beer' it doesn't change my lifestyle. The people at the stores I buy it from don't give a shit. My wife will occasionally take a sip, but basically she's a dyed-in-the-wool Sauvignon Blanc drinker. I'm not going to let any of this stuff bug me too much. If there are a few beers on a menu I will find one to drink. I'm constantly trying new beers and just always wondering what else is out there. I avoid reading up on most smaller breweries because I don't want to know about that silly stuff. I focus on the substance: the malty, hoppy substance.