New member with first Jaguar. Looking for wiring mod "Bible"

For help with setups and other technical issues.
SSHound
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

New member with first Jaguar. Looking for wiring mod "Bible"

Post by SSHound » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:00 pm

Hello,

I'm a new member. Just got my first Jag, even though I have wanted one for decades. Fell in love with a MIJ C.A.R. one in the '90's, but didn't get it. Finally got myself an AV '65 the other day.

While I am thinking I will most likely keep it stock, a few ideas for wiring changes have come to me.

The mods I'm thinking of (so far) are:

1. Change rhythm circuit so it provides alternate volume/tone for brige pickup instead of for neck pickup. Leave everything else the same.

2. A three-part mod:

A. Use bottom V/T for bridge pickup only, and rig up top V/T so they are for neck pickup only (V/T, V/T setup similar to a J-Bass with stacked pots).

B. Convert unused rhythm circuit slide switch into phase reversal for neck pickup.

C. Make strangle switch a master strangle switch, instead of it just working on the lead circuit.

D. Convert on/off switches for each pickup into a Gibson toggle (I have found an aftermarket plate that allows this, while leaving the strangle switch unmolested).

Is there a thread here that is considered to be the go-to, all-answering guide for Jag/Jazzmaster wiring mods, that already has solutions to these possibilities, or is it practice to just deal with them thread by thread?

Thank you, and I'm glad to finally have a reason to sign up for the forum, instead of just lurking.
Last edited by SSHound on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New member with first Jaguar. Looking for wiring mod "Bible"

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:51 am

Hey there!

Shadoweclipse has a thread of the wiring diagrams he drew.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&hilit=Shadow

Could easily be that every single need of yours is already there (maybe drawn on separate pages though)!
He helped me a lot with my wiring back then.

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:12 am

I modded my jm to have v/t for each pickup. It's incredibly useful and much eqsier to use than the rhythm circuit. I haven't done anything with the unused switch yet, but iplan to turn it into a blower switch. Anyway, you'd have a to get a replacement mini pot of a more normal value for the tone to get it to sound right.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:55 pm

Google is good too, especially for finding some stock Fender PDF wiring diagrams that are not always linked on their main web site but buried away somewhere ...
https://www.google.com/search?q=jaguar+ ... ng+diagram
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

SSHound
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by SSHound » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:43 am

Thanks.

After putting this guitar through its paces and learning how to use it, my mod ideas are much more focused. Most importantly, the rhythm circuit isn't going anywhere; it's waaaay too useful to me. In fact, I want to expand its scope. There are three rather minor things I want to do, and that's it.

1. Make strangle switch more extreme. It has an almost imperceptible effect as stock. It is more audible with some tone rolled off, but I'd like to be able to switch to a real thin tone even with tone knob at full blast or not far down from full blast.

2. Make strangle switch and pickup selector switches master controls. I.e. pull that whole bottom switch panel out of the lead circuit, and make it operate on the entire guitar at all times.

3. Re-orient the switches on the bottom switch panel. I want the lead pickup switch to go where the strangle switch is, the strangle switch to go where the rhythm pickup switch is, and the rhythm pickup switch to go where the lead pickup switch is. I also want to flip the neck pickup switch so that both pickup switches down = treble pickup, and both switches up = rhythm pickup. Going the Jazzmaster route (toggle switch) would probably be a better option, but I do really love the way the Jag switch plate looks (and I like the idea of keeping all mods "sleeper" mods).