Univox Hi-Fliers electronics (pots/switches/jacks)

For help with setups and other technical issues.
unvs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Univox Hi-Fliers electronics (pots/switches/jacks)

Post by unvs » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:10 am

Hi!

I have two Univox Hi-flier guitars, one with P90s and one with humbuckers. The electronics in both are really shot - crackles, sputters and drop out all of the time, so I thought this could be a nice project.

Does anyone know what pots, switches and input jacks to get for these guitars? I don't like too stiff pots (like the CTS' and Alphas I've had in other guitars) -- I really like Bourns.

Would I have to drill bigger holes in the pickguard to fit these pots? How about the output jack? Will a switchcraft jack fit on these?

Thanks in advance from a noob

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Univox Hi-Fliers electronics (pots/switches/jacks)

Post by Con-Tiki! » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:18 am

I dont know for certain, but those guitars pre-date the cheap mini-pot stuff.
i would guess that any standard pot will fit w/o altering the guard. Same for the jack.
values? dunno.
look for a wiring diagram online, or try and clean the back of one of the originals.
get whatever brand you like.

I have a Phase 4, all of my complaints are with the toggle switch.
That would be the first place I'd start if you're having trouble with noise and flakiness.
Maybe a quality, right angle toggle would fit. The bodies are super thin, not much depth in the routs.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.