Tonerite On A Solid Body Jaguar Or Jazzmaster?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
DWTish
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Tonerite On A Solid Body Jaguar Or Jazzmaster?

Post by DWTish » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:14 pm

Has anyone tried using a Tonerite on a solid body Jag or JM? I've used the Tonerite on acoustics, and have liked the results, but am skeptical to the effect it could have on a solid body..... Any experiences?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tonerite On A Solid Body Jaguar Or Jazzmaster?

Post by Embenny » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:25 am

Oh wow. I thought I'd be spared the Tonerite debates after I left the AGF!

No. I don't think it does anything to an electric guitar. People can't even identify the type of woods used on an electric guitar in A/B recordings. The tonerite is a repurposed vibrator. It's not going to give you teh tonez.

Speakers? Yeah, those break in. Acoustic guitars? Similar principle. Electric guitars? I'll eat my hat if you can even get a dozen guitarists to pick out an alder vs ash strat, or a maple vs Rosewood fingerboard in a blind test.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Trout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Trout » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:27 am

mbene085 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:25 am
? I'll eat my hat if you can even get a dozen guitarists to pick out an alder vs ash strat, or a maple vs Rosewood fingerboard in a blind test.
I'll eat my socks.
#sitdownrock at https://staffanandersson.bandcamp.com/album/det-hemliga-namnet

DWTish
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DWTish » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:08 am

I'm no sound engineer, but I can most certainly hear and feel the difference between a maple and rosewood fingerboard..... The assertion that all solid bodies would have the exact same tonal qualities despite different woods or in this case different "treatment" is absurd.... I've read the science behind it, and have heard positive things from most people who have tried it (granted there are very few testimonials regarding solid bodies, which is why I ask), but it seems that 95% of the people who have negative things to say haven't even bothered trying it, because they're unwilling to even consider the possibility that it might work.... Can anyone actually speak from experience?

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InLimbo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:21 am

DWTish wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:08 am
I'm no sound engineer, but I can most certainly hear and feel the difference between a maple and rosewood fingerboard.....
Plugged or unplugged?

DWTish
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DWTish » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:28 am

I guess the difference is probably most apparent unplugged, before being processed through a rig

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:32 am

DWTish wrote:
I'm no sound engineer, but I can most certainly hear and feel the difference between a maple and rosewood fingerboard..... The assertion that all solid bodies would have the exact same tonal qualities despite different woods or in this case different "treatment" is absurd.... I've read the science behind it, and have heard positive things from most people who have tried it (granted there are very few testimonials regarding solid bodies, which is why I ask), but it seems that 95% of the people who have negative things to say haven't even bothered trying it, because they're unwilling to even consider the possibility that it might work.... Can anyone actually speak from experience?
Oh, you can absolutely feel the difference of a maple fingerboard. But I will bet you that in a blind test, you will not be able to identify a difference based on final tone (because people have carried out these tests as nauseam to that effect). On the AGF, there have been some pretty funny experiments with A/B/C comparisons using identical mic positioning where people fail to identify the basic Rosewood/mahogany back and sides distinction, or even spruce and cedar tops. I'm not saying there isn't a difference (I own several luthier-built acoustics, and have played countless guitars of various combinations, so I do appreciate the general differences in tonewoods), I'm just saying that, to anyone outside the player, those differences are generally negligible.

And yes, I was stupid enough at one point in my life to waste money on a PrimeVibe, a tonerite competitor, so I'm not sure why you'd assume I wasn't speaking from a place of experience.

Like I said - repurposed vibrators. People have such unreliable memories of sounds that I do not believe anyone can accurately "remember" what a guitar sounded like before they vibrated it with magic tone-mojo for 24 hours. Laying down recordings for A/B comparisons is the only way to even attempt a fair comparison, and I'll give you a guess as to how those have gone in the past.

I'm happy to say that the primevibe purchase was a tipping point in my guitar craziness. That's when I stopped pretending that bridge pin material (or for an electric comparison, tone capacitor construction) made any kind of detectable difference other than to your wallet. Types of wood? Sure. Types of strings? Sure. Technique? By far, the biggest. But magic guitar-shaking devices on an electric guitar? It made the same difference to the tonewoods of my dining room table ;)
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

DWTish
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DWTish » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:52 am

I appreciate the thoroughness of your reply, but assumed before that you hadn't used one because you give zero details of ever having used one.... Everything you've said has been "in theory", which don't get me wrong, I appreciate, but I wanna know what guitar it was used on, for how long, at what setting, etc.... As you said, "TO ANYONE OUTSIDE THE PLAYER, THOSE DIFFERENCES ARE NEGLIGIBLE".... But I AM the player, and my experience is the one I'm most concerned with.... I'm not expecting the Tonerite to overhaul my tone, but if it brings out the best in what's already there, I really don't see the harm.... I'm as skeptical as the next guy, but even if this "vibrator" only improves my tone by 1 tenth of a percent, that's still an improvement..... I want to turn over every rock in making sure I get the most out of my instrument(s)..... In any case, thanks for being part of this discussion 😁

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InLimbo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:13 am

Out of curiosity - what guitars do you plan on using this?

DWTish
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DWTish » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:20 am

I have a brand new 2017 American Professional Jaguar I plan on hooking it up to

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:04 am

Sounds like you're going to do it either way. Knock yourself out.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Mickster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mickster » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:33 am

DWTish wrote:
Mate, it's all bollocks. There is no 'science' behind it. It's just just a way of preying on people's insecurity about 'tonez' and relieving them of a couple hundred quid in the process. Your electric guitar is a lump of cheap wood with very crude pickups that shunts a signal through an extremely low fidelity amp and speakers. The arrangement of the molecules in the plank of wood - i'm guessing this is what Tonerite's 'science' amounts to - makes fuck all difference to how this stuff sounds. Go play yr guitar, take lessons, start a band, whatever. Any of these will improve yr 'tone' more than this guff 8)

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InLimbo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:31 am

Mickster wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:33 am
DWTish wrote:
Mate, it's all bollocks. There is no 'science' behind it. It's just just a way of preying on people's insecurity about 'tonez' and relieving them of a couple hundred quid in the process. Your electric guitar is a lump of cheap wood with very crude pickups that shunts a signal through an extremely low fidelity amp and speakers. The arrangement of the molecules in the plank of wood - i'm guessing this is what Tonerite's 'science' amounts to - makes fuck all difference to how this stuff sounds. Go play yr guitar, take lessons, start a band, whatever. Any of these will improve yr 'tone' more than this guff 8)
I almost made a post that amounted to the same thing and eventually deleted thinking it'd be better to I'd hold back. But yeah.

People have been playing instruments and have made beautiful sounds for hundreds of years without some bolt on Hitachi that's going to vibrate the sounds of ecstasy out of a lump of wood and magnets.

Actually, you should buy one of these and try it out. If it doesn't work, at least there's something that this could actually work on.

Whiny Minotaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Whiny Minotaur » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:18 am

If increased acoustic resonance in electric guitar bodies was that beneficial to tone we’d all be playing semi hollows, we wouldn’t be slathering copious amounts of paint all over bodies, and we certainly wouldn’t be slapping on thick 3 ply plastic pickguards on to our guitars.

Acoustic resonance is something I like, it makes playing electrics more enjoyable. If you want to use that Tonerite thing for your personal enjoyment, knock yourself out. But you’re kidding yourself if you think it’s going to make any discernible difference in terms of the tonz.
soundcloud.com/kkamaguicrow

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:29 am

I want to turn over every rock in making sure I get the most out of my instrument(s)
That path leads to the dark side...