Vintage jaguar pickups suddenly becoming microphonics?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
HH1978
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Vintage jaguar pickups suddenly becoming microphonics?

Post by HH1978 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:09 pm

Hi everyone,

I noticed at my last rehearsal that the pickups on my 1965 jaguar are microphonics, to the point that any light tap on the body with a pick can be heard. Otherwise, they sound really good as usual.
Maybe they were from the start and I never noticed, but it's been my main gigging guitar for two years, so I would be surprised. But how to explain that both pickups become microphonic at the same time? The guitar has not been dropped. That said, I use the neck pickup mainly, so if the bridge pickup was already microphonic I might have missed that.
Did anyone experience something similar?

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Vintage jaguar pickups suddenly becoming microphonics?

Post by oid » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:01 pm

The vulcanized fiberboard that fender used for its pickup bobbins has a tendency to change shape and warp with changes in temp/humidity, this can cause the coil to change shape which breaks down the rather weak bond of the shellac fender used for potting.

Brushing some fresh shellac into the winding can cure the issue, or you can give it a soak, but that can cause some different headaches. Doing this will make the pickup sound more as originally intended, but that may not be an improvement to your ears.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.