Jaguar bridge pickup ringing sound

For help with setups and other technical issues.
mikeytee1000
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jaguar bridge pickup ringing sound

Post by mikeytee1000 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:29 pm

Hi all,

I’ve just finished my custom build Jaguar and it is a real beauty and completely unique, I love it. However I’m getting a background ringing/harmonics noise coming out of my amp when I use the bridge pickup. It’s a little annoying and dissapointing after assembling such an amazing guitar.

The guitar spec is as follows. Johnny Marr Jaguar body, Staytrem Bridge, V Mod Jaguar pickups, Kurt Cobain neck, Kurt Cobain controls plus I added a phase switch.

My hunch is the ringing has something to do with either the bridge or pickup height ( I have the pickups pretty much as Fender prescribes for single coils, perhaps a wee bit lower). I’m leaning towards the bridge as I think I can hear a hint of it acoustically.

Does anybody have an opinion as to the source of the noise and a solution to resolve it?

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jaguar bridge pickup ringing sound

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:04 pm

Sounds like sympathetic ringing of the strings behind the bridge, which is what Jaguars (and Jazzmasters) do, and part of their inherent character.

You can weave a piece of felt/rubber band over/between the string lengths between the bridge and tailpiece to dampen these overtones.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

mikeytee1000
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Jaguar bridge pickup ringing sound

Post by mikeytee1000 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:28 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:04 pm
Sounds like sympathetic ringing of the strings behind the bridge, which is what Jaguars (and Jazzmasters) do, and part of their inherent character.

You can weave a piece of felt/rubber band over/between the string lengths between the bridge and tailpiece to dampen these overtones.
Andy, thanks for the advice, you were spot on. I’ve put a strip of electrical tape across the strings and the ringing is 95% gone. The guitar sounds absolutely brilliant I can’t put it down! Thanks again.