Jaguar v mod pickups on Kurt Cobain jag

For help with setups and other technical issues.
mikeytee1000
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jaguar v mod pickups on Kurt Cobain jag

Post by mikeytee1000 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:39 am

Hi, I see the new Jaguar V Mod pickups are available to buy but they have 3 wires. I have a Kurt Cobain Jaguar and I’d like to use these pickups and add a phase switch as there is a spare space for a switch next to the 3 way toggle. Does anybody know how i’d Wire this phase switch? I’d be really grateful for any advice or a wiring diagram.

Regards
Mike

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jaguar v mod pickups on Kurt Cobain jag

Post by timtam » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:22 pm

According to the AM Pro jag wiring below the V-Mod wire colours are:
green - ground
black / white - coil ends on neck Vmod
black / yellow - coil ends on bridge Vmod
https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... 7-2016.pdf

Not sure how tight the space is next to the pickup selector toggle for a DPDT switch though - you might have to bend some tabs on the toggle ? ....
https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/ ... wlhwev.jpg

Phase switch wiring would be similar to that in the Am Pro above. You're just taking the two coil end wires from one Vmod and flipping them with the switch.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

mikeytee1000
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mikeytee1000 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:06 pm

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply and for the advice.

You are correct about space for the DPDT I switch hadn’t noticed that. I’ll try and cram it in neatly or else ditch the phase switch idea, I’m not sure I’d use it much.

I’m a bit puzzled how I’d wire the neck pickup since I have a 3 way switch rather than a 4 way. Would I just connect one of the wires and would it matter which colour? Would i just shrink wrap the spare? Same applies for no phase switch, which one of the 2 wires would I solder to the pot?

Many thanks
Mike

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:06 pm

The difference with the 4-way switch is to have the series/parallel options, you won't have that with the 3-way switch.

Are you keeping the rhythm circuit? If so then you can wire the neck pickup the same as what's already there, with the yellow wire to rhythm switch (where your original pickup was connected) and the black and green both to ground. Then the bridge pickup could be wired to the phase switch.

In the original Cobain Jaguar, the bridge pickup is connected directly to the bridge volume pot, and so the phase switch can go in between them. If you follow the Am Pro diagram for connecting the pickup to the phase switch, then red wire from the phase switch will go to the tab on the bridge volume pot where your original pickup was connected, and the black wire coming off the switch is grounded. The green wire from the pickup still needs to be grounded anywhere.

In that picture, the "normal" position is with the switch down, and the up position is out of phase. If you get the wires backwards the switch will just work in reverse of what you were expecting.
All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

mikeytee1000
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mikeytee1000 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:24 am

Tammy,

Thanks ever so much for the advice, in really grateful. I’ll let you know how I get on!

Kind regards,

Mike

mikeytee1000
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mikeytee1000 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:55 am

I finished this project, the guitar sounds amazing. It has the V Mod Jaguar pickups, phase switch, 3 way switch and rhythm circuit. The 1 meg pots with the V Mods sound fantastic, typically Jag sound with modern levels of output. It sounds beautiful clean and out of this world driven.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:55 pm

Interesting to know that 1meg works well with the Vmods. The stock Am Pro with Vmods has 500k's.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:58 am

Good to know! Now we just need pics! :w00t:
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

kamillebidan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kamillebidan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:43 pm

Sound clips would be super appreciated! I've been thinking of an AmPro lately, but I wanted to have a better middle line between classic Jag tone and the modern stuff.