Torontonian with a TVL JM...thinking of going Staytrem...halp?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
patski
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Torontonian with a TVL JM...thinking of going Staytrem...halp?

Post by patski » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:10 am

Ah, okay. Thank you for explaining so thoroughly!

So I likely don't need another shim, right?!

I was playing aggressively when I noticed the g string buzzing. That could account for the buzzing, could it not? It still doesn't explain the intonation being off.

What's my next step?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:43 am

patski wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:10 am

I was playing aggressively when I noticed the g string buzzing. That could account for the buzzing, could it not? It still doesn't explain the intonation being off.

What's my next step?
Playing aggressively is something your tech should account for with the setup (generally means there's a lower limit to how they set the action, since an aggressive attack results in more vertical movement of the string and a greater clearance required above the frets to avoid buzz). The best techs I've ever gone to have asked me to play the guitar for them, both so that I could show them the issues I have ("it frets out when bending right *here*, when I do *this*"), and so that they could watch how I play (most people will ask for low action, but some play lightly with their fingers, some chicken/hybird pick, and some pound the strings with Townshend-style windmills, and each of those people have different requirements from their setup).

The next step is truly the same...get a (better) setup. Tell all the issues you've mentioned here to the tech, and they will look at the guitar and diagnose potential causes more effectively than anyone can online. It's a bit like describing symptoms and asking for a diagnosis online...having it checked out in person by someone who knows what they're doing will be by far the most definitely way to address the issue!
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

patski
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by patski » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:54 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:43 am
patski wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:10 am

What's my next step?
Playing aggressively is something your tech should account for with the setup (generally means there's a lower limit to how they set the action, since an aggressive attack results in more vertical movement of the string and a greater clearance required above the frets to avoid buzz). The best techs I've ever gone to have asked me to play the guitar for them, both so that I could show them the issues I have ("it frets out when bending right *here*, when I do *this*"), and so that they could watch how I play (most people will ask for low action, but some play lightly with their fingers, some chicken/hybird pick, and some pound the strings with Townshend-style windmills, and each of those people have different requirements from their setup).

The next step is truly the same...get a (better) setup. Tell all the issues you've mentioned here to the tech, and they will look at the guitar and diagnose potential causes more effectively than anyone can online. It's a bit like describing symptoms and asking for a diagnosis online...having it checked out in person by someone who knows what they're doing will be by far the most definitely way to address the issue!
Tech didn't ask, and you know what? I didn't know any better to play something :( :fp:

I've been messaging tech online and now he isn't replying. >:(

I need to find out exactly who in the city *actually* knows WTF they are doing, and this time, play something.

Man, I really don't want to pay for another setup.

Maybe I'll just ignore it for now because it's not the end of the damn world!

Bah.

*mad at self*

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:31 pm

It's been a while since I lived in Toronto, but the 12th fret's techs used to be great.

patski
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by patski » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:17 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:31 pm
It's been a while since I lived in Toronto, but the 12th fret's techs used to be great.
Turnaround time is supposedly ridiculous now.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:22 pm

patski wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:17 pm
mbene085 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:31 pm
Turnaround time is supposedly ridiculous now.
Oh, boo. They do (did?) good work. It's been 6 years since the last time I lived in T.O., though, so I don't have many other suggestions for you.

patski
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by patski » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:35 am

I've found a scant few recommendations searching here.

I'm thinking of tackling this myself, and if I can't, then I'll take it...elsewhere.

thedude99
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thedude99 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:24 pm

I live in Toronto. Take your Guitar into Capsule Music or to Zak at Superfuzz Audio and get it sorted. Both are solid and know Jazzmasters very well. Both have sorted me out in the past and I highly recommend either (with a slight nod to Zak)

patski
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by patski » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:47 am

Hey dude :P

Thank you for your input. If I cannot sort out my issues (and I think I'm on my way, since following the setup guide on offset.guitars), I may give Zak a call. (not a fan of Capsule)

rumfoord
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rumfoord » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:05 am

To the dead string issue: I've definitely had experience setting the intonation and restretching strings just wears them out. So new strings might possible solve it.

Also, the last time I paid for a setup, I came away disappointed that it wasn't a little more perfect. At home I had to lower the action just a hair, and kind of fine tune everything. It got me thinking that it can be such a personal thing (setting up your own guitar), that it's kind of like if someone tied your shoes for you; it might be a little too tight or too loose or one shoe slightly tighter. Works fine, but could be annoying right? And when you're still learning to tie your shoes you don't have much choice. But there are some things about the tension that you can only really get right by really feeling your own foot as you tighten the laces.

Anyway, you might be right at the cusp of needing to learn to do your own setups, but still not quite able.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:44 am

rumfoord wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:05 am
To the dead string issue: I've definitely had experience setting the intonation and restretching strings just wears them out. So new strings might possible solve it.

Also, the last time I paid for a setup, I came away disappointed that it wasn't a little more perfect. At home I had to lower the action just a hair, and kind of fine tune everything. It got me thinking that it can be such a personal thing (setting up your own guitar), that it's kind of like if someone tied your shoes for you; it might be a little too tight or too loose or one shoe slightly tighter. Works fine, but could be annoying right? And when you're still learning to tie your shoes you don't have much choice. But there are some things about the tension that you can only really get right by really feeling your own foot as you tighten the laces.

Anyway, you might be right at the cusp of needing to learn to do your own setups, but still not quite able.
Any setup by a good tech involves asking/watching how you play, asking you for your preferences, and then having you play it before taking it out of the shop to make sure you're happy. I do my own basic setups, but if I think I need a fret leveling or a new nut cut, I take it in, and I always play it for 10 minutes before leaving the shop. I have no qualms with handing it back if it's still not dialed in to my satisfaction - the tech tries their best based on the knowledge they gather from you, but unless they get feedback, they can't make it perfectly to your tastes. I don't consider that being a "difficult" customer.

It's kinda like when my barber cuts my hair and then shows me the mirror and asks, "how's that?" If the answer is "I'd like it a little shorter in the front," then that's what they'll do. It's not a finished job until it's the way you asked for, and sometimes that involves giving feedback and letting them re-adjust it.

patski
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by patski » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:35 am

Been following the setup guide on offset.guitars. Very helpful so far :)