Torontonian with a TVL JM...thinking of going Staytrem...halp?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
patski
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Torontonian with a TVL JM...thinking of going Staytrem...halp?

Post by patski » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:04 am

Hey folks.

I got my TVL JM at the end of December. It's been set up. It sounds good, but still has a few small problems, mostly buzzing on the low e string, an the g string is rattling a bit. This model has the Mustang bridge on it, but I'm finding it's not really the ideal solution at all.

The fellow I took it to really likes the Mastery. But after the hours upon hours of reading I've done, the Staytrem sounds like the preferred way to go, and it's cheaper. Should I bite the bullet and get it? And should I install it myself? Or is there a kind local soul who could help me out?

Thank you.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Torontonian with a TVL JM...thinking of going Staytrem...halp?

Post by Embenny » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:22 am

I own Staytrems, Masteries, vintage and modern Mustang and Offset bridges, and a TVL. I put a Mastery on mine and love it, though in the past couple of years I have moved toward almost exclusively Staytrems. I used to think "increased resonance/sustain=automatically better", but then I realized that, plugged in, all my non-Mastery offsets sound just the way I like, and I like the way they feel, too, with the rocking bridge.

Now, I have two strong opinions about your story:

1) If you paid for a setup and you're getting fret buzz and rattling, then you haven't gotten what you paid for. Take it back. A setup is complete when the guitar plays well to your specifications, not when they hand it back to you with ongoing problems.

2) Replacing the bridge with a Staytrem isn't going to solve any of your problems. Those are setup-related. The stock bridge is a brass-saddle Mustang bridge. The Staytrem is slightly more nicely-machined and the screws are more resistant to shifting, plus the saddles are steel instead of brass, and the string spacing is slightly more narrow. None of those things will solve your setup issues. Plus, replacing the bridge will undo most of the work of the setup you just had.

So, basically, take it back to that tech, or if they can't help you, a good one who can actually set up a guitar. The only reason to have fret buzz after a setup is due to a serious flaw in the guitar (like a twisted or humped neck), in which case they'd be able to describe to you exactly what that issue was and whether there are any possible solutions (planing the fretboard, etc).

Also, the Leafs suck ;)
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:35 am

As low an opinion as I have of the stock Mustang type bridge, there's no reason it should be buzzing or rattling for you. Correct, whatever setup you paid for didn't "take". You can absolutely set your guitar up to play buzz and rattle free with the bridge you already have.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

patski
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by patski » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:40 pm

mbene085,

Of course the Leafs suck, LOL :D :D :D :D No argument there!

Yeah, I know replacing the bridge would undo the setup. I messaged dude (his shop is on FB) and he gave me a suggestion for the rattle. I actually checked and fixed the intonation on the g string, and the rattling is gone. It sounds a bit dull. Does that make sense? Every other string rings out fine, but the g string sounds a little dead. And there's a harmonic coming off it that wasn't there before. I'll be honest - I don't know if the e string is buzzing in general or just when I don't fret it properly. *embarrassed, feels stupid*

Also, this g string issue just started yesterday. I was wailing on the strings and was using a stiffer pick. It was fine before.

Larry, yes I know a proper setup is possible with the Mustang bridge. I with there was a proper video tutorial on this instead of written instructions. I'm a visual type of human.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:47 pm

Seems to me that as a Canadian, you should apologize for them sucking.

patski
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by patski » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:13 pm

I'm one of those rare Canadians who doesn't say "sorry" ever .2 seconds, LOL :D

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:56 pm

patski wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:13 pm
I'm sorry to hear that.

patski
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by patski » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:08 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:56 pm
patski wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:13 pm
I'm sorry to hear that.
Buahahaha! :D

bacca51
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bacca51 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:36 am

patski wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:40 pm
mbene085,

Yeah, I know replacing the bridge would undo the setup. I messaged dude (his shop is on FB) and he gave me a suggestion for the rattle. I actually checked and fixed the intonation on the g string, and the rattling is gone. It sounds a bit dull. Does that make sense? Every other string rings out fine, but the g string sounds a little dead. And there's a harmonic coming off it that wasn't there before. I'll be honest - I don't know if the e string is buzzing in general or just when I don't fret it properly. *embarrassed, feels stupid*

Also, this g string issue just started yesterday. I was wailing on the strings and was using a stiffer pick. It was fine before.

Larry, yes I know a proper setup is possible with the Mustang bridge. I with there was a proper video tutorial on this instead of written instructions. I'm a visual type of human.
I hope your mustang bridge saddles are rattling out of place, because a guitar has not been "set up" if the intonation is off imo!

patski
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by patski » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:51 am

bacca51 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:36 am
patski wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:40 pm
mbene085,

I hope your mustang bridge saddles are rattling out of place, because a guitar has not been "set up" if the intonation is off imo!
Stupid question, but once set, intonation should be perfect, unless something changes, right? Like a new bridge or strings, etc.

It intoned perfectly at the shop. I watched him do my setup.

patski
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by patski » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:40 am

Folks, look at this mofo of a GAP that I just found:

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:58 am

That gap widens as you approach the body. That's consistent with a small shim at the body-end of the neck pocket - a perfectly standard (nay, necessary) part of adjusting neck angle on a bolt-on.

What isn't standard is for intonation to wander on a single string. Are you sure none of the other strings changed? If so, the only explanation I can think of is for the intonation screw to be loose and for it to have vibrated its way clockwise.

I haven't seen a modern/decent quality Mustang bridge do that before, but it's possible.

patski
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by patski » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:09 am

mbene,

Sorry, are you saying there *should* be a neck shim in that gap? Or that the gap is normal and doesn't need a shim? I'm confused.

I'm *pretty* sure it was only the g string that was off when I checked intonation. There is a possibility I had to fix intonation on one other string...but no more. I'd remember that for sure.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:15 am

patski wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:09 am
mbene,

Sorry, are you saying there *should* be a neck shim in that gap? Or that the gap is normal and doesn't need a shim? I'm confused.

I'm *pretty* sure it was only the g string that was off when I checked intonation. There is a possibility I had to fix intonation on one other string...but no more. I'd remember that for sure.
A shim typically looks like this:

You therefore wouldn't see it unless you took off the neck. But what it does is tilt the neck so that the heel is angling upwards as it travels toward the bridge. This is called a "positive neck angle" (pointing downward is negative).

Most vintage Fenders left the factory with these, many modern ones do too, and if the neck angle needs adjustment during a setup (e.g. Action is high and bridge can't go any lower, or you want to increase break angle over the bridge) then it is standard procedure on a Fender to add one or add a thicker one if one is already there.

When you have a shim, it's therefore normal to see a gap along the neck pocket like that - you're seeing the evidence that the heel is being elevated at the far end toward the body. Absolutely no cause for concern. And no, it doesn't affect tone in any appreciable way. That's a myth. The great guitars of the 50's and 60's that everyone is tripping over themselves trying to emulate all had them, and I don't recall many people complaining that pre-CBS Fenders are lacking in tone.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:43 am

Yeah, that gap between the neck and the body is normal and likely good. All my Fenders look like that from shims I put in.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.