Classic player neck issues

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Matmosphere
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Classic player neck issues

Post by Matmosphere » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:35 pm

I have a Classic Player Jazzmaster that’s about ten years old. It’s a good guitar but I’ve always worries the neck is unstable.

I tend to have to remove relief from the neck every so often to keep the action where I like it. And the neck has an overall stiff feel. It’s very unlike my other fender’s in both regards.

My concerns are that if I only keep adjusting in the one direction am I going to run out of play in the truss rod, and is there anything I can do to make the string tension feel less stiff?

Everything on it is stock other than the pickups. I generally keep 12’s on it for stings but have used 11’s as well and had the same issues.

Does anyone else have similar problems with the Classic players? Anyone know where to start to make things work better.

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Classic player neck issues

Post by oid » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:56 pm

Some necks take time to settle in, my AVRI JazzMaster is the same way, but it is finally settling in, last summer I had to loosen the truss for the first time and I have only had to tighten it twice this winter, and only slight tweaks. Necks are wood and sometimes wood takes awhile to find its place, it will eventually get there though.

It is possible to run out of threads on the rod, but it is far from common, if it happens just take the nut off and slip in a few washers and proceed as normal.

As to the stiff feel, the action at the nut could be to high or the strings could be binding in the slots, beyond that, different strings would be your best bet.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

secondhand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by secondhand » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:45 pm

I have has pretty rotten luck with CP 1 Jaguar and 2 Jazzmasters with necks that won't stay put. I have sold them off or returned them. I still have the one JM that has been stable. Other than those neck issues, I really like the CP series.
Good as the best. Bad as the worst!

2fLAz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 2fLAz » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:17 am

I have a JM CP neck on one of my JMs. About 10 yrs old.
One of the best necks but, yeah, but, I have the same issue, need to remove the relief twice per year.
And I am close to run out of threads :(
Will soon-ish try the washers option