Tell me about the bridge/thimble situation on the American Professional Jazzmaster

For help with setups and other technical issues.
pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Tell me about the bridge/thimble situation on the American Professional Jazzmaster

Post by pscates » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:29 pm

THE SHORT VERSION: Can I put traditional vintage-spec thimbles into the EXISTING post holes on the American Professional Jazzmaster, in order to drop in a 7.25" Mustang (or Staytrem) bridge?

I may have the opportunity to get my hands on a "naked" APJM body (the gorgeous Mystic Seafoam). I notice that both on Fender's site and on body-only pics at eBay, the thimbles seem to be some sort of white plastic, vs. the usual metal cups. I know the stock bridge on these models are Fender's new 9.5" Mustang style bridge (pre-set radius, etc.), but I'd be looking to "downgrade" back to 7.25" (and would be attaching more traditional, vintage-spec neck, pickups, etc.).

I was wondering a) what that's all about, the white plastic thimble/bushing (does it hold the bridge in place, vs. allowing the traditional rocking motion?), and b) are they removable and are the holes sized to accept traditional thimble cups (whatever those dimensions happen to be): https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-ja ... 054447049/

These models haven't been out in the world a super long time, so some of these details probably aren't common knowledge yet. I suppose I'm looking for someone who actually has one (or has purchased a body for a project/build of their own). Seems like a fairly straightforward question. I've emailed Fender directly, but, so far, they've been no help.

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tell me about the bridge/thimble situation on the American Professional Jazzmaster

Post by tammyw » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:23 am

It has regular thimbles, the plastic bits are just pressed in on top. They'll pop right out if you can get a hold on them. It's just there to keep the bridge mostly centered and limit it's range, but the bridge still has some movement.
All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tell me about the bridge/thimble situation on the American Professional Jazzmaster

Post by pscates » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:08 pm

Good to know. Thank you!