Squier VMJM Newbie Questions

For help with setups and other technical issues.
jacksbyrne
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Squier VMJM Newbie Questions

Post by jacksbyrne » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:31 pm

Hey all!

New proud owner of an Olympic White VMJM, couple of quick questions I've not been able to find direct answers to in the setup FAQs/Search.

Messed around on getting it with setup, following the M&M/Premier Guitar article setup recommendations for the stock bridge (ie low saddles, high bridge, shims to compensate, 11s etc) but found that it dropped on me when I took it out live. Loctite didn't quite solve the issues, and I play pretty hard so I still had string movement. Borrowed a Staytrem off a friend to try out, guitar felt better, played louder, sounded better through an amp, and was rock solid so I ordered one immediately.

Now, with that in place, do I still need the Shims? Ignoring all other factors, do they have an effect on playability? Vaguely remember reading something in the past about the adjustment to the neck angle changing how the strings feel in terms of bending. I'm used to a Strat with 10s thats locked down tight, so the JM is taking some getting used to, but if going back to flat angle will get this guitar closer I'm happy pulling it apart again.

Next up, trem-lock. There isn't one in the Squier (AVRI trem is on the one-day-maybe list), so any advice on how to set tension for that without the lock as a guide? Just by feel, or is the a 'correct' way?

Appreciate any advice!