Can't find the right Jaguar tremolo arm! CIJ 2004

For help with setups and other technical issues.
kippfin
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Can't find the right Jaguar tremolo arm! CIJ 2004

Post by kippfin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:33 am

Hey guys,

I have a CIJ 2004 Fender Jaguar. We were extremely happy together for a few months and all was perfect. Then I lost the tremolo arm. Heartbreak.

I bought a new one and it was different. It was longer, and went further into the socket, thus rendering the bar closer to the body than I was used to. I thought, 'oh well, I can get used to that'. But the problem is that the tremolo arm socket loosens whenever I put the actual arm in, and can actually fall into the body. This is retrievable with a pair of tweezers and screwing tight with my fingers (hardly ideal while playing) and even then it falls out again when I use the tremolo arm.

My questions are: what is the right tremolo arm for a CIJ 2004 Fender Jaguar? Where can I get one (in the UK)? And what in tarnation is going on with the socket?

Praying someone knows!

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Can't find the right Jaguar tremolo arm! CIJ 2004

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:25 pm

Welcome to the forum!

The collet (socket) is threaded and screws into the underside plate of the assembly.

Screwing it tight from the top side with your fingers is probably engaging it about 0.5-1 revolution and barely engaging the thread.

To fix properly, the whole vibrato assembly needs to come off the guitar (slacken strings, remove 6 screws then flip over) and the collet tightened down firmly with a suitable spanner or socket.

I'd recommend adding a drop of Loctite (red if you have it) to the collet threads on reassembly - I had a CIJ Jazzmaster from the same era (04/05), the threads were extremely poorly cut and the collet broke free of the plate a couple of times under heavy use (even with Loctite).

I got fed up with this so ended up replacing the entire assembly with a new AVRI unit, which never had an issue.

This is the arm you need: http://darrenriley.com/store/fender-jag ... 264261000/
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.