Gotoh Locking Tuners, HAP or not?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
vodka
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Gotoh Locking Tuners, HAP or not?

Post by vodka » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:37 am

How many of you using Gotoh HAP tuners?
Looking at the HAP models they look so fragile/many smaller details in tuner itself, how good is this staggered thing for Fender headstock(with retainer on B,E strings) that HAP provides?
Is there really any advantage of steeper string angle vs "smaller details in tuner=not so good for metal to wood resonance"?

I'm about to change tuners to Gotoh magnum lock(SDS510), but not sure if i need HAPM model.

Thoughts?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Gotoh Locking Tuners, HAP or not?

Post by Embenny » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:42 am

Can't comment on these tuners specifically, but I can comment on your "metal to wood resonance" question.

After your strings contact the nut, there is no resonance. That portion of string is acoustically inert. The construction of a tuner has no effect on tone beyond the mass it adds to the headstock (more mass = more sustain, slightly) and the break angle at the nut, and even then, it's more a matter of sufficient vs insufficient break angle, where it being too flat results in open strings sounding buzzy or choked out.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Gotoh Locking Tuners, HAP or not?

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:55 am

Had them on a Jazzmaster.

Hated them on a Jazzmaster.

Fucking ridiculous ordeal to adjust the post height, and doesn't increase break angle in any meaningful way anyway (still requires a string tree for adequate down force over the nut for 'B' and 'E' strings.)

Shithouse to restring, especially compared to the ease of restringing with regular slotted post 'Kluson style' Gotohs.

Went back to the regular non locking, non height adjustable post ones - like the ones fitted to AVRIs and CIJ Fenders (also made by Gotoh).

These are attempting to fix things that aren't broken (regular slotted type are perfect), are more difficult to use, and cost more as an added insult.

Just in case there's any ambiguity, I would not recommend this product...

:D
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.