Replace Jaguar string nut

For help with setups and other technical issues.
airtom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Replace Jaguar string nut

Post by airtom » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:52 pm

I am building a Jaguar Classic Player HH. I am using a Squier jag neck and it fits absolutely perfectly in the Fender RI body. I would like to replace the plastic string nut. What should I get...I'm pretty sure the Squier Jag neck is 9.25 radius. I don't know if it is a flat or radius base nut. I am looking for specific recommendations on type of material, vendors, brands...anything to make it easier to wade thru the plethora of choices. I don't know if other Fender guitar model nuts fit or not. Total newbie to this aspect of guitar maintenance. What would you do...other than take it to your local luthier :fp: . Changing the nut is supposed to be a relatively easy job from what I've researched so far. Suggestions please!? Tom

airtom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Replace Jaguar string nut

Post by airtom » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:29 am

OK, I called Fender in Ca. and the gentleman told me that a standard Strat string nut will work. My radius is 9.5. I guess I will just order a Graph Tech TUSQ for a Strat and call it good. We shall see. Tom

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:09 pm

Replacing a nut is usually not a straight up 'replace and call it good' exercise.

The pre-cut nut slots are just a guide for string spacing. You need to cut the slots to the correct depth for the fret height/radius specific to the neck its being installed on.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

airtom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by airtom » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:07 am

The TUSQ XL 5000-00 for Strat that was recommended by Graph Tech that I got does not fit snugly. Even though my Squier Jaguar neck has a flat nut groove the TUSQ has the tab on the bottom which allows you to use it in a flat groove neck. However, it can rock back and forth (headstock to body) ever so slightly in the slot. Too loose in my opinion. There is .005 difference in thickness between the original Squier plastic nut and the TUSQ. The string grooves seem the same and the height is perfect I think. The width was slightly wide so I sanded the edges to fit. Don't know why the slight difference in thickness. On Graph Tech website I compared the various nuts and the one for a flat groove is thinner yet. After messing with it and talking to Graph Tech again I reinstalled the original. Tom

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:53 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:09 pm
Replacing a nut is usually not a straight up 'replace and call it good' exercise.
Indeed. First time you fiddle with nuts there's something to be said for buying a few cheap pre-slotted synthetic bone nuts on ebay and seeing what issues you may face when making a final decision about (more expensive ?) nut replacement - size, nut slotting etc.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.