Rendering tone controls inactive

For help with setups and other technical issues.
JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Rendering tone controls inactive

Post by JVG » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:07 am

If I replace the tone capacitors with a wire from the pot lug to back of the pot (i.e. the same connection points as the capacitor), will I get the effect of the tone knob being on full, whatever its position?

Why do I want to do this slightly odd thing? On this particular guitar I don't use the tone pots, but Occasionally knock them out of position by accident. I realise I could simply disconnect them completely, but I want to keep them in the circuit for the slight treble damping effect they have, even while fully open.

Cheers!
J

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Re: Rendering tone controls inactive

Post by mynameisjonas » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:47 am

No, if you replace the cap with a wire you will just get another volume control.

If you want to maintain the sound of the tone control on max, you would need to move anything that's connected to the middle lug of the pot (the wiper) to one of the outside lugs. For example, the wire coming from the volume knob wired to lug 1, and the cap going to the back of the pot wired to lug 3. That way, the pot acts as a fixed resistor instead of a variable one.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:30 pm

That's very helpful, thanks! I definitely don't want to turn the tone into another volume control.

Sounds pretty straightforward ...ill give it a go.

Cheers!
J

Mad-Mike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mad-Mike » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:54 am

Also, removing the tone control removes capacitance, ie. it keeps certain frequencies from being drained off and has an effect on the sound.

I've had the tone control in my Jag-Stang become disconnected TWICE. Both times I remember being rather extremely happy with the tone, so much so I've taken to taking my 25K tone pots apart (I have EMGs) and cutting the resistive track inside right before max so it's 100% out of the circuit when full-up. While this does not exactly help the OP's situatation, if you really like the sound with the tone control in the circuit, you might not like it (it gets brighter and slightly louder) without on most guitars.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:22 pm

Interestingly, I tried just that a while back - took the tone controls completely out of the circuit. On this particular guitar the result was way too bright for my ears. That's why I want the pots in the circuit, but want them inactive.

Cheers!
J.