High pass on 4 way switch?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
RedWire75
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

High pass on 4 way switch?

Post by RedWire75 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:50 am

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I’m wanting to add a high pass filter to the N+B in series position. Basically and always on “strangle switch” from a Jaguar for just that position.

Jaguar diagrams show a resistor on the tone pot in series with the output from the switch. I know the cap value and which lugs to wire it to but I can’t figure out if the resistor is necessary or not. I’m assuming if it is it should be in series with the cap across the switch lugs?

I can’t seem to find anyone doing this without a separate switch

mike fried
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: High pass on 4 way switch?

Post by mike fried » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:54 am

Are you talking about the four-way blade switch used for Tele mods? If so, I don't think there's a way to incorporate a HP filter into just the series pup output, and I don't see a way to isolate that using that dp4t switch. Personally, I just use the popular series/parallel mod on the two stock dpdt slide switches into the stock "strangle switch" and just switch that on when needed. Not quite as convenient or bulletproof, I guess, but no loss in functionality or non-reversible mods involved.

That 56k series resistor isn't necessary to the high pass function (it's shorted across anyway when the tone control is full up), but it does improve its functionality when the tone control is used with it (it alters the tone control's taper and sounds great when slightly backed off with the HP filter, btw).
Last edited by mike fried on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

RedWire75
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by RedWire75 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:56 am

I’m not a fan of the sliders for live playing. I’d be using the bridge or both pickups in series so it’s much easier to switch quickly on the fly.

mike fried
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mike fried » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:38 am

I get that... You could use the 4-way blade switch and change one of the lead circuit pots to a pot with push-pull or push-push dpdt switch for the HP filter; or add a dpdt toggle switch between the pots (a 1MA+dpdt push-push tone pot would be my preference - in fact, I may just do that on one of my Jags...). I just don't think it's doable without its own switch.

RedWire75
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by RedWire75 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:34 am

Can’t I just use the cap in place of a jumper. I used the Tele 4 way version, no upper control switches.

mike fried
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mike fried » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:00 pm

None of the jumpers provide an independent combined series output, there's only one output path. The only jumper that could be used to HP the series output would also always have it on the neck (second in series) pickup. If someones knows of an alternative wiring scheme that does, I'd love to know about it too.
Last edited by mike fried on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedWire75
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by RedWire75 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:08 pm

I think one does though. If you look at the Johnny Marr Jaguar schematic the yellow and red wires coming from the series bright switch are replaced with a jumper wire in the Tele version of the 4 way wiring. By activating the switch on the Jag you’re just placing that cap into the space between those lugs.

So if you just wire the cap directly in there it’s just omitting that switch.

mike fried
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mike fried » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:24 pm

That does give you a hardwired Johnny Marr "series bright switch" but it's not actually putting the HP filter at the output of the two series pups like the stock "strangle switch" does; it puts it in between them at the neck pup output/bridge pup input. I'm sure it sounds great, it's just not exactly the same thing as the HP filter is only on the neck pup.