Hum!!!!! Please help with wiring question.

For help with setups and other technical issues.
loaded!
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Hum!!!!! Please help with wiring question.

Post by loaded! » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:21 pm

Need some help troubleshooting some serious hum in my Jazzmaster. I haven't played it hardly at all in a few years and have been really getting back into it. But, the hum is crazy loud. It wasn't dead quiet, but I don't remember it being this loud. I've been though the diagnosis process all day, eliminating my pedals and the amp is dead quiet with the Jazzmaster volume all the way down, and loud hum with volume up.

So, I opened it up to see if one of the grounds had come off or what and everything looked good. I looked at a wiring diagram and noticed that it designated the ground wires of each pickup should be connected to the brass shielding. But the current wiring has the neck pickup connected to the pickup selector switch and the bridge pickup connected to the volume pot. Every diagram I've found has shows the pickup ground connections on the brass shield.

Not sure if this is wrong or just a different way to wire it. Either way, could it be causing the hum? I don't want to operate unless I have to. Any ideas or advice are welcome!

thanks!

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Hum!!!!! Please help with wiring question.

Post by soggy mittens » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:19 pm

take a picture of the guts and post it here, if able.
If OSG has tort me anything...