Working on nut slots - how tough is it?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Working on nut slots - how tough is it?

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:39 pm

My cheapie Silvertone reissues have never been properly set up and seem to be a little high at the nut. They have shitty plastic nuts, so probably no big loss if I mess up. What stuff do I need? Any good tutorials out there?

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Working on nut slots - how tough is it?

Post by MKR » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:02 am

you need some very fine/thin files by way of tools. It's not hard at all. the trick is to go slow and check frequently. one thing you don't want to do obviously is cut it too deep and get first fret buzzing on an open string.

I don't know of any specific youtube videos, but i'm sure there are tons out there.

BamaSurf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BamaSurf » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:26 pm

I use an old trick I learned years ago...if the slot is high or if I'm going to larger strings I use old guitar strings...E for E, A for A, etc. etc.. drag them through the nut slot a couple of times and recheck the slot often.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:58 pm

Proper nut files are expensive. Most VT tutorials show guys using those. The cheap files on ebay are mostly rubbish - they don't match the slot widths. The cheapest option is probably welding tip cleaners (also on ebay). They work for some people but are not great.

You need to estimate how low you want to go. Use a half pencil resting on the top frets to draw a line on the nut at the height of the frets - that's your limit ...
http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Re ... _time.html

You can also place a stack of feeler gauges next to the nut to stop from going too far.

Read up on the sloping profile that the slot needs.

Loosen but do not remove the strings. File each nut slot a little at a time. Replace the string in the slot and check regularly.

Check how much your local luthier charges. That may be an easier route. Don't get talked into an expensive after-market nut unless you're sure you want / need one.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:47 am

I'd just buy the nut slot files. (And did, a while back.) It's probably not something you'll only end up using once, although if you've only got one or two slots high right now, you could just get that one or two to try it out and see if you want to invest in the rest of the set.

Most jobs are easy with the right tools and this is one of those jobs. With properly sized nut slot files, it's so easy to file them down that you will start looking for high slots in the nuts of any other guitars you have, and I almost guarantee you'll find more. Most nuts are cut really imperfectly. Most of the ones *I* have, including on $2,000+ guitars, seem like they were cut by someone who was drunk. High slots, low slots, poor spacing between slots, etc. You can fix all these issues with a set of nut files. (Spacing issues are a little more involved but they are possible to fix with filling and recutting.)

It's also really useful to have a set of slot files if you ever need/want to totally replace a nut. Buying even a pre-slotted nut blank will still require some work on your part - they're usually not finished, they're just started for you. I replaced the nut on my 66 Mustang, which was so worn down that the strings were basically resting on the first fret, and I couldn't have done it without proper nut slot files.

rkharper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rkharper » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:11 am

got myself a file set on ebay from japan. 70 Bucks.

might aswell say, these were probably the best 70 Bucks I've spent on guitar-related gear. my guitars never played better.

danbind
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by danbind » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:49 pm

I bought the Stew Mac file set, and have had good luck with it. A set of feeler gauges from the auto parts store is sufficient. Tightened up the action/intonation on a couple of my guitars,-really made a difference. And did my own blank for a recent build. It just takes some patience--read all the tutorials, watch the videos, you'll be fine.
remember / to kick it over

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:25 pm

Thanks, everyone. Hoping to get a few Xmas bux to order the proper tools.

I've been lazy because the Silvertones get played with a capo most of the time, so the high nut slots are tolerable from an action standpoint. Still needs to be done though.

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:01 am

Take nut off, patiently sand 0.5 of a mm or whatever off bottom of nut, replace. fnit.