Staytrem bridge problem on CIJ jaguar

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Kekke466
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Staytrem bridge problem on CIJ jaguar

Post by Kekke466 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:04 pm

Hello all, a while ago I purchased a CIJ jaguar in surf green, gorgeous guitar but I am having a problem. I have other CIJ models and never had a single problem installingthe staytrem bridge.
Now with my last staytrem purchase, I ran into the problem that the low E string rests on the intonation screw, even when the bridge is leaning back.

Have others here had a problem like this? Or a possible solution?

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Staytrem bridge problem on CIJ jaguar

Post by andy_tchp » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:49 pm

A shim in the neck pocket will change the string geometry, allowing you to raise the bridge higher while maintaining desirable string height across the length of the neck.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

fisonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fisonic » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:55 am

I'm guessing that you have the bridge set high, meaning that you probably have too much break angle. You might need to remove some shims at the back of the neck pocket, or if you don't have any, add one to the front of the neck pocket, allowing you to reduce the break angle as you lower the bridge to attain your desired action.

Kekke466
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Kekke466 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Thanks for advice. I will remove the shim and report back.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:57 am

fisonic wrote:You might need to remove some shims at the back of the neck pocket, or if you don't have any, add one to the front of the neck pocket, allowing you to reduce the break angle as you lower the bridge to attain your desired action.
I think I need to do this to my 66 mustang. The staytrem is a little bit taller than the stock bridge and the strings do touch the back edge. However, tuning or divebombing isn't a problem, the only difference it makes is that I don't get a good KKKKLLLAAANG when I play behind the bridge.