Refrets in Chicago. Suggestions? Refret stories to share?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Refrets in Chicago. Suggestions? Refret stories to share?

Post by Ursa Minor » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:15 pm

I'm gearing up to take my beloved 63 Jag in for a refret. Hopefully its just going to need a partial (if it can even be done). The first seven frets are really the ones that have all the wear, with the first three or four being the main culprits. There's really no point in thinking about a level anymore, the divots in some spots are just too big to do anything about.

I'm talking with Third Coast at the moment and will probably give the my business. They seem the most reasonable in terms or experience and price.

I'm going to see if they'll be able to match the original frets. I love the tiny wire on this one and pretty much everything about the way it plays. Just need to get those annoying buzzy notes out from the divots.

Anyone have any local experience or refret / tech experience and stories to share?
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Refrets in Chicago. Suggestions? Refret stories to share

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:05 am

I'm going to lurk on this thread since I have a Fender Lead 2 that'll need a full refret some day, and I've never had that done before, so I don't really know a lot about it.

Good luck! I know of Third Coast and go to the Chicago Music Exchange from time to time, I've probably mentioned my wife's family is in Evanston so me and the father in law get down there when I visit.

They've clearly got a big repair area, have you dismissed them?
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:54 am

You know I hadn't considered CME. I had written off repairs after being unimpressed by attitudes of their shop guys a few years back. Nothing specific, just rubbed the wrong way. Otherwise I'd be all about. Things may have changed though. I'll definitely inquire.

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:19 am

I have never considered Sweetwater for such things, I actually did't even know they offer guitar repair services, but I was impressed with the work they did on Dweezil Zappa's SG that got its headstock broken during the transportation. I haven'e had a need for a full refret yet, but one of my guitars is getting there, and I might just try them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzckZcYdDHI

https://www.sweetwater.com/shop/guitars ... s-upgrades

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:55 am

Interesting, and you could just send in the neck thus saving on shipping to a considerable degree.

They'd probably behave professionally and not lead to a "my tech had my guitar for a year" thread, also.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:21 am

Interesting about Sweetwater. I had no idea.

Shipping just the neck is an idea, but I prefer to keep it local. I'm lucky to have lots of options near by.
I may stop by CME today if I can sneak away this afternoon. :ph34r: I do feel that they wouldn't be the type of shop to hold onto a guitar forever. Ideally I'm looking for a couple weeks Mx turnaround.

DesmondWafers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DesmondWafers » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:39 pm

Rick Cremer of Cremer guitar works in Aurora. The man is a fucking wizard.

http://www.cremerguitarworks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He has long wait times, usually a month or two at least. His turnaround once he has the guitar is about a week. I had my AVRI 62 tele refretted there (Took 6 days) with some bigger frets and it was perfect. His prices are good and he's the kind of guy to talk you out of something if it's not in the guitar's best interest.

I'm an impatient fuck and I HATE waiting months for him, but after going to 5-6 other places (including CME and third coast) I'll never go anywhere else. There's a reason his wait times are so long; his work is impeccable.

minimumnishe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by minimumnishe » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:34 am

DesmondWafers wrote:Rick Cremer of Cremer guitar works in Aurora. The man is a fucking wizard.

http://www.cremerguitarworks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He has long wait times, usually a month or two at least. His turnaround once he has the guitar is about a week. I had my AVRI 62 tele refretted there (Took 6 days) with some bigger frets and it was perfect. His prices are good and he's the kind of guy to talk you out of something if it's not in the guitar's best interest.

I'm an impatient fuck and I HATE waiting months for him, but after going to 5-6 other places (including CME and third coast) I'll never go anywhere else. There's a reason his wait times are so long; his work is impeccable.
My teacher recommended him to me as well, I can only assume he's one of the best in Chicagoland. I recently took a new epiphone up to Chicago Fret Works just down the street from CME and they did a great job on a fret level and new bone nut. Walk in and drop your guitar off and you'll have it back within the week most likely. Very professional staff and shop.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:53 am

Chicago Fret Works are definitely on my radar too. Their turnaround time is pretty good. Price were just a little higher than Third Coast though.

CME told me it was about a month. :-/

I may give Cremer a call. It's a bit of a drive for me but sounds like he's at least worth getting a quote from.

kracdown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kracdown » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:02 am

kosmonautmayhem wrote:Chicago Fret Works are definitely on my radar too. Their turnaround time is pretty good. Price were just a little higher than Third Coast though.

CME told me it was about a month.

I may give Cremer a call. It's a bit of a drive for me but sounds like he's at least worth getting a quote from.
Chicago Fret Works ruined the pristine decal on my slab board '62 Jazzmaster will getting the tuner holes plugged and redrilled. Never going back in there.

CME, while I like the store, did the worst setup I've ever seen on a '63 Jaguar I had brought in. Laughable how bad it was (the guitar had a recent refret, so it should've been easy...). I also asked them to go through the guitar and let me know if everything's working. They said everything "looked fine" but it turned out that there was a short in the neck pickup. Third Coast Guitar was able to tell me that. The CME guys also pretty pretentious... I brought them in a custom color pre-CBS Jag and a nice P bass and they really didn't seem like they cared. Didn't even open the guitars to look at them or go over them with me when I brought them in, which is standard literally everywhere else in the world.

CME also charged me $75.00 to drill holes for the thumb rest and bridge cover on the P Bass while it was in for a setup, which took them 5 minutes of extra work. Thought they'd at least give me a break since i was getting a full setup... But no. $75.00 to drill holes lined up already by the pick guard and the cover seemed like a very simple job too.

Third Coast is the best I've found so far. They've never messed anything up, always on time and super friendly. Prices have always been pretty good too. Curious to try Cremer, but its a lot farther than Third Coast.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:32 am

Wow, thanks for the feedback. Lots of experience. I have to say, Third Coast is probably my best option at the moment.

minimumnishe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by minimumnishe » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:51 pm

kracdown wrote: The CME guys also pretty pretentious... I brought them in a custom color pre-CBS Jag and a nice P bass and they really didn't seem like they cared. Didn't even open the guitars to look at them or go over them with me when I brought them in, which is standard literally everywhere else in the world.
Yeah I love going up to CME just to gawk at the cool guitars they have and play some that I'm interested in before I pull the trigger... but the staff do seem like massive cunts most of the time. Last time I went in I asked if they had a box of picks for the store and the guy gave me a look like "why don't you have your own pick jackass".