Classic player pots

For help with setups and other technical issues.
gingertimmins
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Classic player pots

Post by gingertimmins » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:03 pm

Hi guys, I've had my cpjm for a few years now and it has spent about 8 months in my rack without a full set of strings as I have an amazing strat. I'm pretty desperate to get playing it again though and there are a couple of things that have meant that it has been left in my rack.
The pups sound nice enough to me, I actually quite like em but the volume is near useless below 10 as I lose too much top end and when switching between my strat and jazzy I need an eq pedal to tame the shrillness of the jazzy.

Would anyone recommend swapping out the 1 meg pots for 500k or even 250k pots?
Probably going to add a treble bleed too.

I think once this is done I'll love playing it again!

Cheers!

Francer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Classic player pots

Post by Francer » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:17 pm

gingertimmins wrote:Hi guys, I've had my cpjm for a few years now and it has spent about 8 months in my rack without a full set of strings as I have an amazing strat. I'm pretty desperate to get playing it again though and there are a couple of things that have meant that it has been left in my rack.
The pups sound nice enough to me, I actually quite like em but the volume is near useless below 10 as I lose too much top end and when switching between my strat and jazzy I need an eq pedal to tame the shrillness of the jazzy.

Would anyone recommend swapping out the 1 meg pots for 500k or even 250k pots?
Probably going to add a treble bleed too.

I think once this is done I'll love playing it again!

Cheers!
Well, here's my experience, I put 250ks in my AV65 JM and I thougth it was Ok at first but over time I realised they were stifling the tone. in the end reverted back to stock 1M pots, and now I back off the volume a tiny bit to tame the icepickiness.

hardtail01
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hardtail01 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:37 pm

Find settings on your amp for each guitar that you like and twist the knobs when you change guitars.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:42 pm

hardtail01 wrote:Find settings on your amp for each guitar that you like and twist the knobs when you change guitars.
This. Also, have you tried rolling down the tone pot very slightly? I know it sounds simple, because it is. There's not much functional difference between reducing the value of the pots and leaving them on 10 vs rolling a little bit off the tone pot. People have run simulations looking at resonant peaks and this and that, but truly, there's not a world of difference. Before rewording a guitar with new components, just see if you like rolling off a little treble. If you don't, you probably won't like it on 10 with the new pots anyway.

Take it from someone with vastly different guitars - unless you have different amp/pedal settings for your different guitars, you are missing out. Tweaking everything to sound perfect with one guitar and then swapping and expecting it to sound perfect is a recipe for being unhappy with that guitar. Spend some time tweaking your gear specifically for your second guitar and you will come to appreciate it much more fully.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.