Tremolo plate position question

For help with setups and other technical issues.
iodine74
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Tremolo plate position question

Post by iodine74 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:36 pm

Hi everyone... not sure if this is the suitable forum or if the mods/projects would be better, but I've got a question about tremolo placement on a build I'm doing. Any tips on getting the plate positioned properly in relation to the route?

I have a pair of MJT bodies i'm trying to finish putting together and need to get the trems on... the problem is, I'm concerned about position.

Background... I put a Japanese Trem on one of the bodies last fall. I think It had a bum knife edge plate, because whenever I'd bring it up to tension, I could go down on the trem, but it'd catch on something and never return to position.

So I ended up getting an AVRI bridge for it. When I got that though, I discovered that the trem lock didn't have enough room to travel to correctly work. I just filled up the original screw holes I drilled for it with toolpicks and wood glue last night and am ready to drill some new holes and get things going... as well as get my 2nd body drilled and set up. But I don't want to just start drilling and end up with an unusable trem.

I've tried using my CIJ JM as a guide/baseline for measurements, but don't have confidence in that, especially since the trem routes are slightly different (the 'nub' for the trem lock is definitely a different dimension on the CIJ than the MJTele bodies).

fisonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tremolo plate position question

Post by fisonic » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:02 pm