Warmoth Jag Feedback Issues

For help with setups and other technical issues.
electriceye
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Warmoth Jag Feedback Issues

Post by electriceye » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:08 pm

Bought a used jaguar body with everything prewired, the person that wired it may have been a little unexperienced (you can tell with a quick look). I myself do okay in this category but I am also relatively underexperienced (still probably a decent amount better than the previous builder). Thinking about a total rewire but he has some nice vintage esc cloth wire I would like to not mess with too much if I can just troubleshoot. It feeds back even if the volume is medium high, and also feeds back regardless if an overdrive, distortion or even a compressor is going. Pickups are properly low, amp doesn't feedback with other guitars as well so i dont think its the amp. Ive played with positioning myself while playing plenty, so yeah its probably the guitar.

If it does matter (doubt it does), the guitar has been stripped of the paint he had and tru oiled for a natural look.

Also, FYI the guitar sounds great otherwise. Very clear, not muddy at all. Little/no hum.

repoman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Warmoth Jag Feedback Issues

Post by repoman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:32 am

That sounds odd.

Is it normal feedback like when you crank and amp and face the guitar to it or is it a high pitched squeal?

I can't think of what would be going on if it was the former, if it's a high pitched squeal maybe the pickups are microphonic.

Does it feedback on both the pickups or just one?

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Warmoth Jag Feedback Issues

Post by Mike S » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:46 pm

Was there any waxy buildup on the pickups?
If you have high-pitched squealing feedback and you are able to talk into the pickups and somewhat hear your voice coming out of the amp, it means that either the paraffin in the pickups melted and leaked to a degree where the pickup wires can rattle or the pickup was never potted in the first place.
Both are correctable but if it's the latter, think about what kind of sound you want. Some people swear that unpotted pickups sound more "open" or actually want microphonic feedback.