Pot Question

For help with setups and other technical issues.
rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Pot Question

Post by rank » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:26 pm

What is the difference between the pots used in the rhythm circuit vs the ones used for the regular volume & tone? I picked up some Antiquity I's for a Jazzmaster build was thinking of using 250k pots for the volume & tone. I'm going for a warm tone but I want it to be clear as well. I'm not quite sure what to put in the rhythm circuit to compliment this. Are they the same pots or does the rhythm circuit use smaller, mini pots & what value comes in most Jazzmasters?
We are merely moving shadows.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pot Question

Post by andy_tchp » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:34 pm

They're mini pots in the rhythm circuit. 1M volume and 50K (not a typo) tone.

You could use a pair of 1M in the rhythm circuit to get a stock/vintage spec[*] circuit available to you up there.

[*]Or close to, the tapers available might be limited in that form factor. Also a different capacitor value if you wanted it dead-on.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

fisonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pot Question

Post by fisonic » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:56 pm

If you go away from the 50k tone, you will need to change how it's wired, as it's more or less wired in series, ie the output from the volume pot goes to the tone pots wiper, one side of the trace goes to the switch(series) & the other end of the trace goes in series with the cap to ground. If you just swapped in a 250/500/1meg pot you will drop the volume off before the tone filter cuts in.
You would just need to rewire it same as the lead circuit. The 50k tone pot would then be unsuitable to use.

The choice available to you depends on whether you have the small shafted US(bugger all) or larger shafted japanese(numerous) type pots/bracket/rollers.
You kind of need a log taper for the tone, so if you have a US model, there seems to be only 1meg linear available. Still works, but the taper is a bit off.