Disappointed by Thomann & Fender

For help with setups and other technical issues.
SignorNessuno
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Disappointed by Thomann & Fender

Post by SignorNessuno » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:17 am

Hi everybody i'm writing this message because i've recently bought a Classic Player Jaguar Special from Thomann and i've experienced some issues both with the product and the dealer.
I'm adding here the product review which i've just written on Thomann's site and which i doubt will ever be published. I just wanted to share my misfortune.
(Apparently i can't copy and paste the text so here's the screens)

NoiseNoiseNoise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Hertfordshire, England, Britain, UK, Europe, Earth, Outer Eastern Rim, Western Spiral Arm.

Re: Disappointed by Thomann & Fender

Post by NoiseNoiseNoise » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:22 am

Overall quality seems to be going down the toilet with some of these products. Frets not properly finished is another problem I've had, but as that was on Squiers I shouldn't complain as much. My Luthier did mention that he'd had a new 1200 quid Fender (I don't recall what)sent to him that needed a twist taking out of the neck! Where is the QC these days? :fp:
This is a signature. If you're reading this you've gone past the end of my post.

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:19 pm

Are classic player jag pickups normally wax potted from the factory?

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:11 pm

sunburster wrote:Are classic player jag pickups normally wax potted from the factory?
Even if they are, I'm not surprised they sucked.

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:29 pm

I was tempted to write kind of a snarky reply, but heck, my AV65 JM's nut drives me crazy enough that I never play it. It looks like it was slotted by someone who was drunk, and nuts are not easy to replace on the AV65's. I mean, there's just a lot of variance in Fender guitars these days. It sucks and it's stupid for the amount of money we pay for these things. When you pay $2,000 or even $1,000 for a guitar, it should be perfect.

I feel like we're in sort of a second CBS era here. My AVRI that I got shortly before my AV65 was so badly set up from the factory that it was basically unplayable. Literally about an inch high action with the bridge and pickups lowered all the way down. Three neck shims later, and it plays better. That just shouldn't be necessary in a $1,000+ guitar. Oh, it also has no neck stamp, like they forgot.

I don't know what is going on at Fender these days. I mean, sales are going down, I guess. They must be cutting costs somehow. But I don't understand how this inconsistent QC fits into that. Are they hiring convicts on work release to build guitars or something?

Personally, I had a bad experience the first time I played a CP Jag when they were first released. I mentioned that here and elsewhere and other people disagreed, so I figured it was just me. But it's probably just more of that inconsistency again. There are probably good CP Jags out there, and there are definitely bad ones, because I've played one too. It shouldn't be that way for the amount of money Fender's charging.

SignorNessuno
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by SignorNessuno » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:35 pm

@sunburster yes, my tech told me they were already wax potted, but probably not properly. right now, after his proper wax potting, they work fine...i can turn up the amp's gain to 10 and there is no squeal at all. he actually told me that, in his opinion, the cp jag looks like a well made guitar, and sounds very good. anyway, fender should really care more about their final quality control step, obvious issues like these should be solved before putting the product on the market.

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Horsefeather » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:01 am

It seems like Fender is practically trying to encourage people to build their own guitars from replacement parts these days.

repoman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by repoman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:36 am

I'm pretty impressed with the quality of Fender stuff these days in regards to other mass production guitars from other companies (cough Gibson).

Guitars from the factory do not come with setups, so thats not really something to complain about. If there was some major defect in the guitar where setup was impossible without taking the neck off and shimming it and a defective nut, why didn't you just return the guitar?