Pickup quick connector?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
pocaloc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Pickup quick connector?

Post by pocaloc » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:28 pm

I have a Gretsch Panther semi hollow and wanted to try p90's in it. The luthier tells me that he charges $45 above his normal cost for changing pickups. I'm not tech savvy enough to know how to do it myself. I see that some guitars have quick connectors installed so new pickups can just be plugged. Is this feasible with my guitar, or a good idea? I'd like to be able to switch back and forth. Invest in a couple of different pickups and switch when I get bored. The p90's I'm looking at are tv jones t90's that fit the pickup cavity. Thanks

danp3man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pickup quick connector?

Post by danp3man » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:55 am

pocaloc wrote:I have a Gretsch Panther semi hollow and wanted to try p90's in it. The luthier tells me that he charges $45 above his normal cost for changing pickups. I'm not tech savvy enough to know how to do it myself. I see that some guitars have quick connectors installed so new pickups can just be plugged. Is this feasible with my guitar, or a good idea? I'd like to be able to switch back and forth. Invest in a couple of different pickups and switch when I get bored. The p90's I'm looking at are tv jones t90's that fit the pickup cavity. Thanks
I'm kind of looking to do the same thing with some of my guitars= I've been looking at mini jack plugs on Mouser online- good source for electronic components and connectors. Kind of forgot about them, but another OSG member reminded me of them as a source for all things electrical and electronic- ironic that I didn't think of them on my own, as I used to use them extensively when I was a Field Service Engineer/Rep for Cobham Aerospace in Prescott before I retired. The 1/8" jacks appear to be the most common and fairly small, which is what you and I want- I'm going to keep searching for a smaller male and female jack connector that will save more space and still be solid and reliabel electronic connections. I'm sure there are other good sources for this type of component as well on the internet- I was striking out looking at sources like Stew Mac and other Luthier supply outfits- seems like this is something they should consider carrying! Good Luck! ;)

pocaloc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pocaloc » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:40 am

I know the new Kauer Titan has a quick connector. That's one of the selling points, that you can just buy loaded pick guards from Kauer and just plug them in so you have a whole new guitar.

jthomas
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jthomas » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:20 pm

Guitar fetish is selling a quick connector thingy.

pocaloc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pocaloc » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:04 pm

Thanks for the tip!

danp3man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by danp3man » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:57 am

jthomas wrote:Guitar fetish is selling a quick connector thingy.
Okay- now you've done it. Showed me a new parts source to spend my hard earned money at. Like I'm not broke enough already! Seriously, some cool stuff here- a lot of it seems geared toward Strats, but a cool selection of pickups, parts and hardware prices seem pretty fair as well. I think I'll be doing business with them- they even have the male and female mini jacks I've been looking for quick connect/disconnect of pickups when doing wiring changes, pickup changes, etc. Anyone have any comments on their customer service, recommendations, horror stories or such? Thanks to the tip- I'll put in an order for some stuff and see how it goes! ;)

jthomas
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jthomas » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:16 am

I've purchased 4 cheap... un I mean inexpensive guitars from GF. Great for modding, cause if things go wrong, you haven't lost much. I've also purchased some pickups and they were fine. People with high-end tastes and deep pockets have said bad things about the pups, but I've seen no issue. I have soapbar P90s in a cheap... I mean inexpensive offset (their JT40, I think) that they were selling, and while the guitar is not great, the pickups are very sweet.

I have had a very good customer experiences. The guitars need a setup when they arrive and when one came damaged, they replaced it without question and paid for shipping. If you look around on Harmony Central, you'll find lots of reviews, most ok, some bad.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:15 pm

I've seen tons of small connectors in the field I work in. If you had a small Molex plug (like a 2-pin) it would work perfect. The only trouble is, getting the inner contact on a wire takes a special tool... Here's what I was thinking:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... AtCw8P8HAQ

Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

danp3man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by danp3man » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:09 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:I've seen tons of small connectors in the field I work in. If you had a small Molex plug (like a 2-pin) it would work perfect. The only trouble is, getting the inner contact on a wire takes a special tool... Here's what I was thinking:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... AtCw8P8HAQ

Looks good- should make for a solid electrical connection- as long as it isn't too bulky, this might be a good solution- I'll search Mouser et.al.- thanks~ ;)

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:59 am

Mouser might since they have everything, but you might find that one easier at your local auto parts store.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

FightingPlankton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FightingPlankton » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:03 am

Butt connectors ftw. Cheap and easy. I'm not an expert on such things but adding in any sort of connector MAY change the resistance and there by alter your tone.
What is acoustic? Oh, you means a grandpa's guitars? A grandpa's guitars? That's for pussies and grandpas. I think you know it.

Spellcaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Spellcaster » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:09 pm

I'd suggest visiting a shop that sells parts for remote-control planes and vehicles. They sell miniaturized connectors, available in 2, 3, and four pin male and female configurations. I use these for quick connects in guitars because they're much smaller than any of the types shown above. I'd love to show you a picture but unfortunately Photobucket has suspended my third-party hosting privileges under their "new terms of service". Here's a link to a place that sells them....

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/10cm-servo- ... s-bag.html
"I know just enough to be dangerous..."

dougk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dougk » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:12 pm

This is what I use on Argonaut and Super Chief where I don't have rear cavity access:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BOVV6W/re ... +connector" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

10 years now and they've been just bulletproof.

For titan we only use a quick connector on the ground wire, that's just a generic crimp on spade connector. The pickups are soldered to the switch like normal (since all of it is on the PG).

danp3man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by danp3man » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:24 am

Spellcaster wrote:I'd suggest visiting a shop that sells parts for remote-control planes and vehicles. They sell miniaturized connectors, available in 2, 3, and four pin male and female configurations. I use these for quick connects in guitars because they're much smaller than any of the types shown above. I'd love to show you a picture but unfortunately Photobucket has suspended my third-party hosting privileges under their "new terms of service". Here's a link to a place that sells them....

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/10cm-servo- ... s-bag.html

Awesome! Great "thinking outside the box"! I'd recently moved to the Wichita KS area, and was excited to find we actually had a Radio Shack in the local area (it seems most of the RS stores have gone out of business everywhere I've lived in recent years). However, once I visited the store, I was very disappointed- the selection of electronic parts was poor, and I guess to stay in business, the owner is mostly selling major appliances and other odd things. Go to Radio Shack to buy a refrigerator or range? :fp: I used to be able to spend hours in Radio Shack, and find nearly anything imaginable in the way of electronic components, switches, connectors, kits, etc. I even worked in a RS back in the '80's while I was in the Navy (avionics technician was my rating/specialty), mostly to get the employee discount! Ah, well, things change-but this forum has a lot of great answers to my nearly endless dilemmas in getting into building guitars! Thanks! :w00t: