Shimming & other Neck Issue?????!

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Johnny Alien
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Shimming & other Neck Issue?????!

Post by Johnny Alien » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:32 am

No way to fully understand without seeing the neck but IMO all Jazzmasters and Jaguars need shims. Fenders were designed for a bridge that kept things largely straight down the neck....Telecaster and strat bridges. But the offset bridges are more like archtop in that it creates an angle from the peak of the bridge down to the nut. With a neck pocket designed for the previous style of bridge that is no way that the action can't gradually get higher further up the neck. So angling the neck to follow the angle of the strings is the only way to solve it. Sometimes the bridges can be bottomed out in the thimbles so a shim is not a necessary but even then I think they can benefit from a minor one.

NICQ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NICQ » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:40 am

Try a businesscard shim - does not cost a thing but maybe an hour of your time.. then you'll know if it solves your problem or not. You can always fretlevel/recrown afterwards if necessary.. at least you can rule a neck angle problem out then..

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:41 pm

Johnny Alien wrote:No way to fully understand without seeing the neck but IMO all Jazzmasters and Jaguars need shims. Fenders were designed for a bridge that kept things largely straight down the neck....Telecaster and strat bridges. But the offset bridges are more like archtop in that it creates an angle from the peak of the bridge down to the nut. With a neck pocket designed for the previous style of bridge that is no way that the action can't gradually get higher further up the neck. So angling the neck to follow the angle of the strings is the only way to solve it. Sometimes the bridges can be bottomed out in the thimbles so a shim is not a necessary but even then I think they can benefit from a minor one.
That's exactly what I'm seeing.

What about a Mustang Bridge? Would that make a difference?

I just received the GraphTech Tusq Nuts. I've got a 3 Pak Set of Stew Mac Shims on the way too. When I get them I'll get to work & try to remedy the Issues.

Thanks,

Lars

Francer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Shimming Neck???

Post by Francer » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:46 pm

Larsongs wrote:I just used a CC to check fret level. It looks like there are 3 frets in the upper Neck that aren't level.
I'm still not sure a shim will help in this situation, unless i misunderstood your original post about bridge being lowered as far as possible before fret buzz, but it still could be physically lowered further ignoring fret buzz? It's more likely the raised frets you mention above.

If your bridge is bottomed out then yes a shim gives you more adjustment, but otherwise your relative string/neck geometry will remain the same since you'll need to raise the bridge to get the strings back to the same position relative to the neck once the shim is installed, putting you back to square one albeit with a higher bridge starting point. With a vintage positioned trem you get a bit of increased string break angle over the bridge which might stop a bit of string slippage/rattling but with the modern JMJM trem placing you shouldn't need this anyhow.

However, it can't harm either, so by all means go ahead and try a shim, at the very least it will add to your guitar set up skills, and I guess it might work ....

Here's a link to another shim thread.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Shimming Neck???

Post by Larsongs » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:44 pm

Francer wrote:
Larsongs wrote:I just used a CC to check fret level. It looks like there are 3 frets in the upper Neck that aren't level.
I'm still not sure a shim will help in this situation, unless i misunderstood your original post about bridge being lowered as far as possible before fret buzz, but it still could be physically lowered further ignoring fret buzz? It's more likely the raised frets you mention above.

If your bridge is bottomed out then yes a shim gives you more adjustment, but otherwise your relative string/neck geometry will remain the same since you'll need to raise the bridge to get the strings back to the same position relative to the neck once the shim is installed, putting you back to square one albeit with a higher bridge starting point. With a vintage positioned trem you get a bit of increased string break angle over the bridge which might stop a bit of string slippage/rattling but with the modern JMJM trem placing you shouldn't need this anyhow.

However, it can't harm either, so by all means go ahead and try a shim, at the very least it will add to your guitar set up skills, and I guess it might work ....

Here's a link to another shim thread.
I'm not sure the Shims will make a difference but since I'm going to remove the Strings, change the Nut, I might as well try a Shim to see if it makes any difference.

I can't bottom out the Bridge without String Buzz. I've got the Bridge as low as it will go before the Strings start to buzz. Would a Mustang Bridge make a difference?

It may be those 3 Frets, I mentioned earlier, that are too high but they aren't very high at all. Maybe as much as a .012" or so.

Thanks,

Lars

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:00 pm

Shimming the neck cannot magically fix uneven frets, no.

Likewise replacing the bridge and/or the nut.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:52 pm

andy_tchp wrote:Shimming the neck cannot magically fix uneven frets, no.

Likewise replacing the bridge and/or the nut.
A lot of great points. I think it's got to a point where I need to send it out as I don't have a Shop to work on stuff. It seems like more & more Tools are required that I need to buy. I address 3-4 things & then find out it could be 3-4 more things & maybe more. Finally the time & skill level.

I would really like to be able to watch the work being done though to learn how to do all this stuff. And ultimately, sometime down the road, build a good looking, playing & sounding Guitar.

Thanks,

Lars

eternal learner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eternal learner » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:34 pm

Larsongs, i'm becoming increasingly frustrated reading your jazzmaster dramas and not being able to actually do anything about it! If you were here in sydney australia i'd love to have your axe on my bench and sort this thing out gratis. Don't give up!

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:35 am

eternal learner wrote:Larsongs, i'm becoming increasingly frustrated reading your jazzmaster dramas and not being able to actually do anything about it! If you were here in sydney australia i'd love to have your axe on my bench and sort this thing out gratis. Don't give up!
I wish I could oblige you. I was in Sydney many years ago & really liked it there! Very Cool!

I've owned many Guitars over the years & currently have about 25 or so.

I have never had the drama that I've experienced with VMJM's & this JMJM! It's not price issue. I've got other Guitars in the same price range. Including Squier CV Telecaster which is a really nice Player. All they required was a little Neck & Bridge adjustment & set the Intonation & they were good to go.

At this point I've decided I'd like to learn more than just the basics. But I think I need to watch how some of this stuff is done. When it comes to Fret leveling, crowning, polishing & more complex repairs it's not in my skill level.

Sorry for all the drama.

Thanks,

Lars

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:29 pm

I have been trying to become skilled at Setting up Guitars. My Gibsons & Epiphones are easier to Set up than my Fenders & Squiers? Not sure why?

I've taken my AV65 JM as far as I'm able & finally took it to my Luthier today. I want to sit in while he works on it to learn.

The JMJM I will continue trying to do it all myself.

Besides all the traditional Set up techniques I've tried was the Credit Card at the 12-13th Fret Video tip to adjust the Action. It really worked! My JMJM plays pretty good now!

Thanks for all the help,

Lars