Best Source for Guitar Nuts

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Best Source for Guitar Nuts

Post by Larsongs » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:46 pm

I ordered a couple Graph Tech Nuts.

I got my Tools & Files. I decided I might as well apply all the knowledge I've got from here, online research & all the YouTubes I've watched.

So I set to filing the Nut Slot on 6th string. Filing slowly & Checking String height several times. But forgot to tune string back to E. Filed too much. I remembered one of the videos I saved about emergency Nut Slot Filling. Here's a link in case you guys might need it some time. https://youtu.be/ALbzS42DCbI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It actually worked with Baking Soda. Surprised, I let it dry then went to work filing slowly & checking String height with Strings Tuned to proper Notes.

When done & fretting 3rd Fret all all Strings were .010mm from top of 1st Fret to bottom of each String.

Before doing any of the Filing I had checked Relief made sure it was good. Lowered the Action as much as possible without any buzzing up & down the Neck. Tuned & set Intonation.

Still the Action gradually gets higher & higher the further up the Neck you go? The Action is much higher than I like compared to all my other Guitars that were Set up by Prps. I really would like to learn how to this myself. Any ideas as to what I should do next?

Thanks,

Lars

NICQ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NICQ » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:06 pm

If the action is ok at the first 5-7 frets and then gets higher from then on AND you have adjusted the neck relief then it has to do with neck angle and bridge height.. you could just lower the bridge to get a lower action. If you can't get a decent action without too much buzz you could try a light shim at the neckpocket (on the underside of the last fret) - this will increase the break angle and lower the action on the upper half of the neck..

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:57 am

Larsongs wrote:I ordered a couple Graph Tech Nuts.

I got my Tools & Files. I decided I might as well apply all the knowledge I've got from here, online research & all the YouTubes I've watched.

So I set to filing the Nut Slot on 6th string. Filing slowly & Checking String height several times. But forgot to tune string back to E. Filed too much. I remembered one of the videos I saved about emergency Nut Slot Filling. Here's a link in case you guys might need it some time. https://youtu.be/ALbzS42DCbI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It actually worked with Baking Soda. Surprised, I let it dry then went to work filing slowly & checking String height with Strings Tuned to proper Notes.

When done & fretting 3rd Fret all all Strings were .010mm from top of 1st Fret to bottom of each String.

Before doing any of the Filing I had checked Relief made sure it was good. Lowered the Action as much as possible without any buzzing up & down the Neck. Tuned & set Intonation.

Still the Action gradually gets higher & higher the further up the Neck you go? The Action is much higher than I like compared to all my other Guitars that were Set up by Prps. I really would like to learn how to this myself. Any ideas as to what I should do next?

Thanks,

Lars
not sure i totally understand what you mean but i am starting to also think the high action isn't because of the nut. if you want to eliminate the nut as a potential in the equation, put a capo on the first fret. there... now the nut isn't even an issue. If you still have high action, then look at the bridge, neck relief, or neck angle (as suggested).

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:16 am

I did the prescribed processes to adjust Relief using a Capo on 1st Fret adjusting to .010mm at 7th fret with a very slight Neck bow, Bridge height as low as possible without Strings buzzing, Tuned & Set Intonation prior to Filing the Nut Slots.

The Action gets gradually higher to the point of unacceptable at 12th fret & higher. The Neck a Angle looks way off to me? Why do they build them like this? It may need Shims?

What do you suggest!

Thanks,

Lars

NICQ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NICQ » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:52 am

It's not a 1000$ guitar.. they have to cut corners somewhere

I had a SQJMJM and when I removed the neck there was a small wooden shim in the neck pocket.. so I guess they get a setup but maybe not as carefully and detailed as the US guitars. But it's nothing you can't fix yourself just like you are trying to learn in this thread

I would suggest trying a small shim - nothing drastic just temporarily to test if it will fix your problem.. cut it out of a business card .. and if it does try to figure out a good permanent solution (wooden shim)

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:22 pm

NICQ wrote:It's not a 1000$ guitar.. they have to cut corners somewhere

I had a SQJMJM and when I removed the neck there was a small wooden shim in the neck pocket.. so I guess they get a setup but maybe not as carefully and detailed as the US guitars. But it's nothing you can't fix yourself just like you are trying to learn in this thread

I would suggest trying a small shim - nothing drastic just temporarily to test if it will fix your problem.. cut it out of a business card .. and if it does try to figure out a good permanent solution (wooden shim)
I know it's not a $1,000.00 Guitar. But, I've had a few Guitars, mostly Epiphones, in the $400.00 - $500.00 range that needed nothing & were great out of the Box. I think Fender is slipping in the QC area. But that's another topic.

I think I'll try the Biz Card & see if it makes a difference. If it does are there certain shims that are more desirable than others?

It may not have needed Nut Slot Filing after all. We'll see.

Thanks,

Lars