Ernie Ball vs D'Addario

For help with setups and other technical issues.
shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Ernie Ball vs D'Addario

Post by shoule79 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:16 am

valley_parade wrote:
soggy mittens wrote:I always bought d'addarios because of the coloured ball ends lol i know i know, but currently changing to GHS boomers. Largely because of the e string breakage issues.
Interesting. I switched from GHS to D'Addario for this exact same reason.
Ditto, I used to love GHS, but kept breaking high e's.

jonobolton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jonobolton » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:27 am

For no particular reason, I've always used Ernie Balls on my guitars, regardless of the type of guitar I'm playing. I've currently got Not Even Slinky 12-56s on my Jazzmaster, largely because I'm currently tuning to C# Standard (or down a-step-and-a-half, depending on your parlance). I have to say, I hate the plain 24 in the pack, but can't find a matching wound 24 anywhere other than online; the plain 24 just sounds dead. I'll likely go to a slightly lighter gauge and tune higher next time I restring it, but will probably go with Ernie Balls again.

I always use D'Addarios on my basses though. Currently I have my P Bass set up with 65-130 Pro Steels (C# Standard tuning again). I personally wouldn't use anything else; I love the tone and the feel of them, and they last a good while before they go dead.

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:56 am

Soldered some fresh e strings today during a string change. Boomers on the left for my jag and d'addarios on the right for my jazzy. Acoustically the d'addarios win so easily, shall find out tomorrow how the boomers compare in a band mix. ;)

If OSG has tort me anything...

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:18 am

GHS Boomers are better than both IMO, I've never had a problem with string breakage on my Jazzy. YMMV.

soul1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soul1 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:03 pm

I preferred D'addario over EB, until I tried Elixir Nanoweb strings, those are now my favorites.

They are more expensive, but they last much longer and sound better, IMHO.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:59 am

soul1 wrote:I preferred D'addario over EB, until I tried Elixir Nanoweb strings, those are now my favorites.

They are more expensive, but they last much longer and sound better, IMHO.
I've been an Elixir convert for years. Saves money in the long run (costs less than half of how much I'd spend on regular strings in the months I get out of a set now). There's this new, even-thinner "Optiweb" formula that I just bought a pack of, but haven't had time to try yet. Wondering whether I'll like it more or less than the nanos.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:12 am

Very interesting. I started out using GHS Boomers (for bass), then used Rotosounds for a few years during my heavy Rush phase, then moved on to the D'Addarios. I can't pinpoint exactly why, if it was just what was available at a specific moment or I just gave them a shot or what, but I've since used D'Addario on both bass and guitar forever now (at least 20 years). I think I may even have D'Addarios on my classical. I don't know that I've ever bought or used Slinkys or EBs, but I've known people that loved and swore by their Slinkys.

Honestly, I think I would have to sit down and do a similar type test to see if there are noticeable differences in feel and tone, those would be the only things that matter to me. I don't have problems with strings breaking too much anymore (I'm much less aggressive in my playing), except when they're pretty much spent and need changing anyway, and I don't find a big difference in strings tuning, both breaking in or staying in tune afterwards. It might be worth trying a set of Slinkys just to see if how they feel and sound, especially on one guitar that has an ebony fretboard, which I find harder to play than my rosewood fretboards. Maybe I'll pick up a pack next time I go to poseur central (Guitar Center) to grab another amp stand, I have 2 speaker cabs being delivered soon and need some instant gratification (no shipping time). Sometimes that place is okay, and sometimes I can't get out of there fast enough. That place can only handle so much ego, and there are times that the employees alone bring it to critical mass.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.