Mustang series/parallel/phase switching?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mustang series/parallel/phase switching?

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:34 am

Ok, so I did something different than I was actually thinking at first. I DO really like the way you drew yours with the series/parallel switch before anything else, BUT, I did the series/parallel last (well, before volume and tone anyway) so you could do series out-of-phase, or series-dark (not that you'd necessarily need it, haha). I'm not saying there won't be dead-spots, but I don't see that many. The only thing I would say would be to avoid using the 3-way toggle in the series position. Everything else (that is, the neck pickup 3-way slider switch) SHOULD work with no dead-spots in series mode.

Also, I wired the neck 3-way slider this way so you'd have your dark and in-phase options on the ends, since I imagine you'd use those two over the out-of-phase sound most likely. What that means is that, in a pinch, you could slam that switch from dark to non-dark/regular in-phase without having to really worry about hitting it just right, like the middle position. If you want the out-of-phase spot on the end and the non-dark in phase in the middle, it's a super simple change. Just let me know.

One thing to remember here too: I just modified that 2 pickup Mustang schematic I'd drawn for Chase that you found, and didn't modify the volume and tone pots. I feel like he wanted 50's wiring, so I'd say ignore the volume and tone wiring, and just wire it how you'd want to. I can't be sure that it's not something weird. Haha.

You had it dead-on in your earlier post, but I thought I'd reiterate just to be sure. If you wire it like this ( ^^^ ), parallel will be with the push-pull pot in it's seated/down position. Personally, push-pull pots sometimes bug me in the up position, so I figured parallel would be used more often and put it that way, but whichever way you prefer, you can just flip it.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:08 pm

Cool. Many thanks! This probably requires less rewiring than my version as well. I'll give this a try in the next couple of days when I can get back to the wiring lair. I'm definitely planning on series-up/parallel-down for the push/pull. I had thought I would use in phase in the mid position, but I get the ergonomics of this for playing/fumbling live. It looks like the series position will override everything on the pickup selector 3 way except the neck position, which becomes a kill.

I'll put up some gut and finished shots once I've got it together. Thanks again!

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:08 pm

You're welcome Gavanti!! Definitely excited to see your project. Make sure to post some pictures when you have some time!! I actually need to get back to finishing a couple homemade circuit boards for bypass pedals that I started last year before I moved, so I know how that goes :fp:

Also, this gives me an idea. Since I'm always coming up with funky ideas, I might make a box that do all the funky little mods like these, and different switching options, so I can plug pickups into it (like a breadboard, without solder) and test to see if I like a sound. Hmm...
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:09 pm

Sorted, I think. Got it wired up using your diagram with 500k pots; louder and brighter works fine for me. It all seems to be working and sounds good. My in-phase position ended up in the middle of the phase switch, which is ok. I can just leave it there mostly, and switch it into one of the special modes as needed. The dark setting is a little tricky. It doesn't like the neck setting, and cuts everything but the bridge pickup in series. It's definitely a more useable and flexible configuration overall though. Having the pickup switching in one place is key for me. Thanks, again!

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:47 pm

So, the dark setting doesn't work with any switch position but series middle?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:47 pm

Also, that Mustang is amazing!!

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:41 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:So, the dark setting doesn't work with any switch position but series middle?
I think the dark switch is only working in parallel. In series, dark seems to bypass the neck pickup as well as the low pass filter—only the bridge pickup is on. There's a blank position in parallel too when that switch is on, but I'l have to recheck which it is tomorrow.
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:Also, that Mustang is amazing!!
Thanks! It's definitely taken some knocks, but really fun to play—super percussive. My other guitars have mostly been 25.5" scale, JM/Jag trems, so the short scale and hair-trigger response of the dynamic vibrato is kind of a blast.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:49 pm

Hmm. I have a feeling that's the way that will be, but that may be why the original Mustang and the 5.0 Mustang schematics and had both pickup wires on that switch. I also can't imagine wanting the series position darker, but the option would be cool. That's probably also why Fender loved the Jaguar type of switching: every option could work in any mode basically. Very strange though.

If you want that option, I could take another look through the schematic. I think it could be done by moving the hot wire to the dark capacitor to the other side of the switch, but that will likely mess with other things too...

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:33 am

I'm fine with it as is. Thanks, though. I imagine you're right on why both pickups were on the phase switch in Mustang 5.0, although it wouldn't surprise me if there were still odd dead spots. This configuration is pretty easy to work with as long as you remember the few dead spots (the trickiest probably being not going from the neck pickup directly into series), which is true with the original config and pretty much all series/parallel configs, I think. Here is the switching table, just for reference:

mealworms
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mealworms » Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:31 am

Hey,

Does anyone have the final schematic images for this? The ancient photbucket links are dead.

Looking for series / parlell options with phase switching for a standrad mustang set up.

mealworms
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mealworms » Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:53 am

Ah OK, I'm looking all over the internet now. I don't really want to install an extra 3way toggle switch.

All I really want is options for

Bridge
Neck
Both - Series or Parallel

in phase / out of phase is a stretch goal.

Am I missing out on an opportunity here?

Seems like I'd have one unused three way switch option.

I'm down for weird switch positions with the 2 existing 3way switches to get the desired effect, I just don't want to install a new 3 way toggle switch.

mealworms
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mealworms » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:17 am

alright last luddite question here.

what is the "dark" setting actually on the 5.0 diagram... is it the series override?

in the 5.0 diagram Image

is the phase in/phase out/ dark switch only effecting the BOTH setting on the other switch? if this is the case then nevermind 5.0 is perfect.

sorry don't hate me.... someone save me here.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:41 am

Hi mealworms!

Perhaps this wiring scheme would interest you. I've used it in a few Mustang/Duo builds and really like it and find it easy to use. Each switch basically goes off/on/on+. The neck pickup on+ setting is reverse phase, and the bridge on+ is series. Between the two switches, you can get every normal Mustang sound, plus both pickups in series, in series-out of phase, and all off. It doesn't require any new holes either.

Doug
@dpcannafax

mealworms
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mealworms » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:16 am

Very SICK!

OK so...

(based on your position numbering wich maybe i would reverse the ordering??, anyways)

to get both pickups in series, in phase

Neck Switch = 2
Bridge Switch = 1

both pickups in series, out of phase

Neck Switch = 1
Bridge Switch = 1

both pickups parallel, in phase

Neck Switch = 2
Bridge Switch = 2

both pickups parallel, out of phase

Neck Switch = 1
Bridge Switch = 2

just neck
Neck Switch = 2
Bridge Switch = 3

just bridge
Neck Switch = 3
Bridge Switch = 2

javier-san
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by javier-san » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:44 am

Oh hell yeah!

Looking to modify a jag-stang with two jaguar single coils...perfect timing.