If there's anything I hate...

For help with setups and other technical issues.
sears
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: If there's anything I hate...

Post by sears » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:13 am

ga20t wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:37 pm
my chosen strings were provided in the case
Not as bad as you but it's happened to me. In one case they set it up with the wrong strings and charged me for the strings. I gave them the strings, I said 11's and also that they're in the case. Aftwerwards they said they didn't have the note in front of them so they MEASURED THE STRINGS that were on there. They measured them incorrectly and set it up for 10s.

I played with 10s for a few years. It wasn't so bad and the setup was good. But I'm not going back to that place in Sprignfeeld, VA where they also build and repair amps. They have such a professional veneer but this wasn't the only weird thing they did to that guitar.
maskedsuperstar.bandcamp.com

Mad-Mike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mad-Mike » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:44 pm

Reading horror stories like this on the internet is a big reason I've never visisted a guitar tech ever in the past 20 years. I've done all my own work on all of my guitars since 1997, when I was 14 years old. yep, even then people were complaining about guitar techs.

One thing I don't like about buying any sort of parts at places like Kennelly Keys - you know the type - big music store type that sells horns and pianos as well as guitars, everyone wears business casual, and instruments are still held to that old school view that they are sacred and not for user modification.....so one day I came in asking if they had a stereo 1/4" phono jack for my Jag-Stang (EMG Pickups) - they said "well, if you bring it by, we will see if one of our master techs can take a look at it for you"....

Yeah right, I'm not leaving Nikki with some random stranger for god knows how long over a stupid $0.15 output jack - I went to a professional electronics shop and bought one instead for a few cents and had the guitar back up and running that night in time for the gig.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, was carrying my Jazzmaster with me to rehearsal and I don't like to leave guitars unattended in my car and visible, so I brought it into Guitar Center with me. They wanted to check it out - after seeing the mods I did to keep a set of .009's stable on it they wanted me to teach their guitar tech at the time how to do all the funky stuff I do with offsets in my free time. that was kind of cool. I dunno if that info ever stuck. Does not matter now anyway, I'm authoring my own website for that stuff.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:02 pm

Mad-Mike wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:44 pm
Does not matter now anyway, I'm authoring my own website for that stuff.
Ah man, that's gonna be a really useful resource for a lot of us. I mean, the stuff on Mike&Mike's blog is useful too but it kind of sticks to tradition in a lot of ways. It'll be great to get tips from a different perspective.

danbind
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by danbind » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:45 am

...it's ordering a bunch of cheap guitar parts online, being careful to get everything I need in one shipment, hitting the PLACE ORDER button, then soon realizing I left out some little item (e.g. Pickguard screws) that will mean paying another $10 or so in shipping for a 50-cent order.
remember / to kick it over

BamaSurf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BamaSurf » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:53 am

I hear ya. I took a Gretsch 6120 to a tech here in Mobile, small town not many guitar techs, to have a volume pot replaced. When I got the guitar back it stank...heavy cigarette odor. Being a non smoker it about made me puke. I found out from my friend who who works at the, now closed, music store that the dude had his ashtray sitting underneath the headstock with his burning cigarettes. Dumbass