Fender Jaguar Wiring pickups in series

For help with setups and other technical issues.
billybong
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Fender Jaguar Wiring pickups in series

Post by billybong » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:15 am

I have a fender jaguar. I wanted a simple setup, both pickups to be on in series, with no pots or switches, wired directly to the jack socket.

This is how it is:

http://imgur.com/a/YeuiV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am very happy with the sound. The only problem I have is that if I touch the claw or polepieces of the bridge pickup, then it becomes ungrounded.

Also, if I reveresed the direction of things, like this:

http://imgur.com/a/AuuSy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then the bridge pickup would be fine to touch, but if you then touched the claw or poles of the neck pup, it would be ungrounded.

Does anyone know why this would be? Thanks

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Jaguar Wiring pickups in series

Post by nanamour » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:32 am

In series wiring, one of the claws needs to be grounded independent of the coil. Simple fix: just cut/desolder that little bare wire grounding connection between the claw and bobbin (I'm fairly sure it doesn't matter which one but someone might correct me on this) and solder a wire to the pickup claw going directly to ground.

billybong
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by billybong » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:37 am

Thank you for the reply my friend. I hope this does not make it go back to being both the pickups in parallel, instead of in series?

I will try it anyway, many thanks :)

billybong
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by billybong » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:05 am

OK, so I did that and it works. I rewired the bridge pup claw to the ground. Now, when I touch the bridge pup claw, everything is fine.

However, if I touch the bridge pup poles, it still does it. Nearly perfect anyway.

Thanks

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:07 am

:)

billybong
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by billybong » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:31 am

It is an american reissue jaguar, and it only has one switch with all 6 legs on it (the ones on the diamond shaped metal plate have legs removed).

So is there any way I can switch between both pickup on, in series, and just the neck pickup on, on it's own?

mike fried
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mike fried » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:21 pm

Try disconnecting BOTH pickups' claws from their bobbins and connect them directly to ground. I've wired two Jags for series switching doing that and it works fine.

monsterdonkey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by monsterdonkey » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:55 pm

I have a dumb question about this mod. If both pu switches are up the pups are in parallel. Both down, series. I'll attempt more googling to figure that part out.

But if say the bridge switch is up and the neck switch is down, is the bridge pup on only? What's happening to the neck signal? You're not getting both pickups on all the time with this, right, so how does it work? I like having one pickup on at a time and I like the strangle switch.

I haven't done the mod yet because I like the way it works now. If nothing changes and I get more options that would be fine though.

Also, what's the definitive answer on removing the grounding from the claws. Neck or bridge or both?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:35 am

monsterdonkey wrote:I have a dumb question about this mod. If both pu switches are up the pups are in parallel. Both down, series. I'll attempt more googling to figure that part out.

But if say the bridge switch is up and the neck switch is down, is the bridge pup on only? What's happening to the neck signal? You're not getting both pickups on all the time with this, right, so how does it work? I like having one pickup on at a time and I like the strangle switch.

I haven't done the mod yet because I like the way it works now. If nothing changes and I get more options that would be fine though.

Also, what's the definitive answer on removing the grounding from the claws. Neck or bridge or both?
The pickup selectors work normally for choosing individual pickups. Neck up, bridge down = neck pickup. Bridge up, neck down = bridge pickup. Both up = both in parallel (just like it would be on any normal jaguar). The only difference is that setting both switches down gives you "both pickups on in series" instead of "all pickups off" like it would be on a normal jag. You don't lose any tonal options. As for the grounding, I always isolate both claws though others have done just one.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.