Squier J Mascis & Staytrem AOM drop in/Conversion Thimbles

For help with setups and other technical issues.
ivo popovich
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Squier J Mascis & Staytrem AOM drop in/Conversion Thimbles

Post by ivo popovich » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:28 am

Hi all,

this is my first post here, but I´m reading OSG for some time already now, great stuff!
I´ve bought myself a Squier JMJM in december, planning to install the Staytrem bridge soon. Now that I finally wanted to order one (and they have it in stock again from time to time), they say they stopped producing the conversion thimbles needed for my instrument.

While John from Staytrem does in fact answer always and quickly, he wasn´t able to tell me what I should do now. Do you guys have any idea? Or the correct measures for the thimbles? Or any alternative thimbles/bushings I could go for, that would fit a Staytrem bridge? I need to get rid of the stock bridge due to buzzing issues and also I want to have the correct radius. And I think it looks better as well.

Best Wishes,
Ivo

ivo popovich
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Squier J Mascis & Staytrem AOM drop in/Conversion Thimbl

Post by ivo popovich » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:53 am

Hi again,

seems this is trickier than I thought and I have seen few other guitarists facing the same dilemma.
Now if one wants to put a Staytrem bridge on a Squier JMJM he either needs to:
1.) buy the drop in Adjustomatic version bridge or conversion thimbles used (hardly ever available)
2.) buy Fender thimbles, dowel the holes and drill new ones to insert them and use the bridge

Another idea I have now is to buy the current Staytrem bridge and "convert" it to work as an AOM drop in, by sawing off the posts and drilling holes where the original posts have been in order to fit the AOM posts already mounted on the guitar. Don´t know if this is feasible or if i´m risking to break the new bridge completely. What do you think?

d-f
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by d-f » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:13 pm

I have a modified classic player jaguar and sympathize with your situation. I grabbed what was probably one of the last pair of conversion thimbles.

The previous owner of the jag had stuck a mustang bridge directly into the TOM inserts. It fit, but was snug. There was occasional buzzing coming from the bridge posts against the threaded sides of the TOM inserts, but it wasn't too bad. I think a reasonable option would be to get the bridge, wrap the posts in tape, and squeeze it into the existing inserts for a snug fit. You could then lubricate the saddles for a mastery type of trem action.

I wonder if this could be an even better option than a floating bridge for the offsets with the "modern" trem placement. While the new placement cuts down on buzz (I am able to use a stock bridge with no rattling), I've noticed that the bridge can rock towards the neck over time, especially if playing hard. I think this could be due to the slightly steeper break angle.

monsterdonkey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by monsterdonkey » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:50 am

I took my Classic Player to a tech to have Mastery thimbles installed. Any vintage style thimble would suffice. I say just make the conversion to Fender vintage style and then you can use any bridge you want after that, except AOM but since you're going with Staytrem I doubt you'll ever want to go back that way anyhow. It's not a difficult task for a luthier with tools and mine didn't cost too much or take very long. Please do not saw anything!

ivo popovich
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ivo popovich » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:52 am

Thanks for your input,
d-f wrote: The previous owner of the jag had stuck a mustang bridge directly into the TOM inserts. It fit, but was snug. (...)
I wonder if this could be an even better option than a floating bridge for the offsets with the "modern" trem placement. While the new placement cuts down on buzz (I am able to use a stock bridge with no rattling), I've noticed that the bridge can rock towards the neck over time, especially if playing hard. I think this could be due to the slightly steeper break angle.
Interesting, I have never taken the original bridge off to see the TOM insert and its inner diameter, thought they must be way to small for the Mustang/Staytrem posts. I do have a vintage Mustang bridge lying aorund here, will give it a try as soon as I find the time. Also I´m actually fine with a non rocking bridge, as I´m not really using the tremolo much.
monsterdonkey wrote:I say just make the conversion to Fender vintage style and then you can use any bridge you want after that, except AOM but since you're going with Staytrem I doubt you'll ever want to go back that way anyhow.
Yeah, that is what most likely will happen in my case, though the one advantage of keeping AOM would be that I could try out a Compton bridge without any hassle. By the way, would these thimbles work with a Staytrem?

d-f
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by d-f » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:55 pm

ivo popovich wrote:...By the way, would these thimbles work with a Staytrem?
They'll work with a Staytrem, but I don't think they'll be a drop-in replacement for your JMJM. I'm pretty sure that the CP/JMJM have wider diameter holes in the body to accommodate the AOM bridge posts. I think that's the reason that Staytrem had to make custom ones.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:57 pm

"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

ivo popovich
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ivo popovich » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:34 pm

Yes exactly that bridge mod, done with a new Staytrem. Has anybody tried that?
They have been selling it in that version before, but it´s long discontinued and I can´t find any to buy used.

ivo popovich
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ivo popovich » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:19 am

Seems Staytrem finally got something again for the Squier JMJM:
http://staytrem.com/bridge-replace-aom" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will update as soon as I get mine :)

mordecainyc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mordecainyc » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:33 am

ivo popovich wrote:Seems Staytrem finally got something again for the Squier JMJM:
http://staytrem.com/bridge-replace-aom" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will update as soon as I get mine
Excellent news!! Thanks for the heads up.

bacongrease
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bacongrease » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:13 am

The gfs bridge fell into place on my jmjm didn't even use the studs or grommets.

aman74
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aman74 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:29 am

ivo popovich wrote:Seems Staytrem finally got something again for the Squier JMJM:

Will update as soon as I get mine
It's weird how he says the non-rocking option isn't available, just like the normal version and says if you want a locked bridge this isn't for you....however the locking bushings are still listed on the page for the normal version?

Also a bit of a turnoff the way he seems to resent people wanting the fixed bridge.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:21 am

Perhaps he figures that if you want a fixed bridge, you'd just keep the AOM.

aman74
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aman74 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:29 pm

JVG wrote:Perhaps he figures that if you want a fixed bridge, you'd just keep the AOM.
As I said it's still an option for the regular model, by that logic he'd have to also assume people always want it rocking for this and he knows that's not the case, hence the option.

I think he's also pretty aware that a lot of people would prefer a staytrem over an AOM. Probably why it was brought back. So an option for one and not the other doesn't compute.

tommycarlos
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier J Mascis & Staytrem AOM drop in/Conversion Thimbles

Post by tommycarlos » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:26 am

I have the new AOM Staytrem replacement on my JMJM. It’s been magic.