Any tips on shielding a semi hollow JM body?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Any tips on shielding a semi hollow JM body?

Post by rbrcbr » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:38 pm

Finally got my Saylor guitars semi hollow jazzmaster body back from MJT. About halfway along with the build, just needs pickups/wiring, accessories, and to be set up.

Any ideas on how to shield one of these properly? I've seen people use the shields that pop in, not sure they'd fit due to the chambers. Copper shielding tape might work, but seems like it may be hard to do well since the ends of the chambers are hard to reach. I've seen people mention shielding paint, but that's costly.

What do you guys think work best? This is my dream JM build and I want to do it right, make it as legit as possible.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Any tips on shielding a semi hollow JM body?

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:53 pm

It looks a lot like the routes are 'stepped' (unless it's an illusion of the photograph) so American/vintage style shielding 'tubs' won't work.

I'd go with shielding tape (one with conductive adhesive like sold by Stew-Mac) as it'll be the easiest/quickest to do a good job with. Not sure what you mean about the end of the routes being hard to reach? The tape is a lot thinner than you'd expect, and very flexible/malleable.

It should end up looking something similar to this
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:08 pm

andy_tchp wrote:It looks a lot like the routes are 'stepped' (unless it's an illusion of the photograph) so American/vintage style shielding 'tubs' won't work.

I'd go with shielding tape (one with conductive adhesive like sold by Stew-Mac) as it'll be the easiest/quickest to do a good job with. Not sure what you mean about the end of the routes being hard to reach? The tape is a lot thinner than you'd expect, and very flexible/malleable.

It should end up looking something similar to this
What I mean is that the routes extend to the end of the body, on the inside, because it's semi hollow. The only part of the body that isn't hollow is the space around the vibrato. Otherwise, everything else is hollow and I'm wondering the best way to shield those hard to reach spaces, since what usually is shielded is what you pictured above.

NICQ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NICQ » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:29 pm

Why do you want to shield the semi-hollow parts ?

The basic idea of shielding is to build a faraday cage around your electronic components to block interference or electronic fields from being picked up.. no need to shield the f-hole for example when there are no pots or pickups there...

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:55 pm

NICQ wrote:Why do you want to shield the semi-hollow parts ?

The basic idea of shielding is to build a faraday cage around your electronic components to block interference or electronic fields from being picked up.. no need to shield the f-hole for example when there are no pots or pickups there...
And Faraday Cages are very rarely completely surrounded 100%. There are usually gaps.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:14 pm

It wasn't that I wanted to, it's more that I wasn't sure if I needed to or not. So, thanks! I had no idea if everything was supposed to be shielded or not. The only hollowbody guitar I've ever owned was a Gretsch that had humbuckers in it, so shielding wasn't even a concern with that guitar.

I just wanted to make sure shielding a semi-hollow guitar for single coils wasn't a different process. Especially since a noisy guitar more prone to feedback could be an issue.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:25 am

rbrcbr wrote:

It wasn't that I wanted to, it's more that I wasn't sure if I needed to or not. So, thanks! I had no idea if everything was supposed to be shielded or not. The only hollowbody guitar I've ever owned was a Gretsch that had humbuckers in it, so shielding wasn't even a concern with that guitar.

I just wanted to make sure shielding a semi-hollow guitar for single coils wasn't a different process. Especially since a noisy guitar more prone to feedback could be an issue.
Just shield what you can, and make sure that any surfaces that are physically isolated from others are joined to a common ground.

For the record, humbucker-equipped guitars benefit from shielding too!
The artist formerly known as mbene085.