Question: How Do Different SC sized HBs Compare?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Question: How Do Different SC sized HBs Compare?

Post by noisepunk » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:25 am

Specifically looking at tele bridge P/Us, on the off chance that someone can give specific advice on those, but I'd imagine that the differences would be pretty much the same in strat/mustangs pickups.

Just to restate more clearly: I'm wondering what the differences in sound are between the different types of single-coil sized humbuckers that are out there.

Thanks.

sears
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Question: How Do Different SC sized HBs Compare?

Post by sears » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:05 pm

I have a Barden double blade in one tele (without a neck p/u) and a Bill Lawrence 280 in another. The Barden is hot and pretty hifi. I liked it so much I put a Strat Barden in a Bronco bass where it thrives. The Bill Lawrence is like a more polite, silent American Standard tele pickup. The Bill Lawrence concern will make it hotter if you want and the value is superb. I bought my Bardens used.

The Bill Lawrence replaced a Lace Sensor Gold, which I still have around someplace. It has a hifi but compressed sound. I liked it and might go back to it someday but wanted something more dynamic.
maskedsuperstar.bandcamp.com

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:07 pm

Well, I'm not entirely sure if it's really answered my question, but I'm now heavily leaning towards the 298, which sounds like pretty much exactly what I'm after and is a good $30-40 cheaper than anything else I've seen. So, thanks :)

sears
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sears » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:01 am

By hifi I mean even. None of the pickups I have tried has the most "personality." I like noise-free pickups because they're practical and leave tone dissection to others. The Bill Lawrence has outstanding string separation, for lack of a better term. You can hear each note in a chord. I think the Bill Lawrence are just as good as Barden but in my case, the Barden is in an Esquire so it's going to sound better; plus it's hotter. The one you are considering is pretty hot.

Not that this has anything to do with it but the tele with the Bill Lawrence lead still has the stock Gold Lace Sensor in the neck. It's a 97 tele plus. I removed the middle pickup. That neck pickup has always been just perfect to me so I was never tempted to change it.

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:23 pm

Speaking oh "hotness", I read of some people having issues with vibrating tele bridges making their Bill Lawrence pickups produce uncontrollable feedback and k was wondering if you had any issues with that.

sears
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sears » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:47 am

My Bill Lawrence is in a modern Fender bridge where the metal is thicker so I don't have that problem. I wouldn't be surprised if the BL's were omnidirectional and prone to picking things like that up. It would explain how they can get really close to the strings and still sound so clear.