Squier Super-Sonic pickup replacement questions..

For help with setups and other technical issues.
King Volcano
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Squier Super-Sonic pickup replacement questions..

Post by King Volcano » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:28 pm

Hey. So I bought black Squier Super-Sonic off craigslist awhile ago, and I've thinking about replacing the pickups for awhile but am not sure what to do.

I like the idea of putting a set of Seymour Duncan Stag-Mags in it. It kinda has some strat inspired elements to it (the angled bridge pickup), so I think that would suit it well. But I'm hesitant to go ahead and buy the pickups and find someone to install them.

The issue that I am thinking of is how the bridge pickup is angled. The poles don't exactly line up with the strings (see picture). I'm guessing if I put some pickups in their to split, the single coil side wouldn't have an even distribution of volume due to the misalignment of the poles and strings. Maybe it's not a problem with the humbuckers in there cause the difference in the top coil poles and bottom coil poles evens things out. Am I right on this? And, anyone try a guitar with two stag-mags?

Also, if anyone just has some pickup recommendations in general, please say so. I'm looking for something that would fit in the original place, preferably something with a good split sound, but I am open to ditching that idea. I'm into 80s Jangly stuff, so I was hoping to get versatility out of this guitar with both some jangly single coil sounds and some good humbucker sounds. Any ideas?
Also, hi. This is my first post.

jagstang
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier Super-Sonic pickup replacement questions..

Post by jagstang » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:04 am

don't think, the angle is a problem...

dylanafghjkl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dylanafghjkl » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:50 am

Chuck a wrhb in there

DanyoSound
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DanyoSound » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:33 pm

I have a first generation Vista Series Squier Super-Sonic in sparkly blue.

I replaced the pickups with two DiMarzio humbuckers:
Bridge position: Super Distortion 3.
Neck position: FRED (PAF with more mids).

I added a little switch to split for single coils.

When split to singles and in the middle position (outer singles) I get the tastiest Strat quack. It is my most versatile guitar.

Highly recommended.
Offsets and flangers

hwestman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hwestman » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:58 am

Rio Grande makes a slanted dual strat pickup humbucker.... HOWEVER it does not have the reverse slant but they offer custom work and since it's just a matter of flipping the bottom plate over it shouldn't have to be overly expensive.

Both their Tallboys and Muy Grandes are great sounding pickups...

vincentb
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by vincentb » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:42 am

Fwiw: I just replaced the bridge pickup in my 1997 Squier Super Sonic with a DiMarzio DP222BK Activator X humbucker. It's a great improvement in comparison to the stock humbucker. Only had to solder a few wires on the first volume pot. Looks neat too. I'm still considering to change the neck humbucker too, but haven't decided yet on which type / brand.

hwestman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hwestman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:07 am

I would get in touch with Rio Grande pickups...

They make slanted humbuckers. They are however slanted the other way BUT they do custom work and doing a reverse slant would only be a matter of flipping the bottom plate before mounting the coils.