Noiseless vs True-Single Jazzmaster PUps

For help with setups and other technical issues.

Noiseless or True Single?

Noiseless
46%
True Single
54%

Total votes: 13

Science_Penguin
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Noiseless vs True-Single Jazzmaster PUps

Post by Science_Penguin » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:18 pm

Just curiosity more than anything, really, but which would you say you prefer? How many of you have no trouble at all with hum and how many of you just can't stand it? Is there really a discernible enough difference between the hum cancelling models and the true models for you to care, or do you just say "close enough" so you'll never have to hear that buzzing again?

If you could specify why, that would be cool too.

voided3
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Noiseless vs True-Single Jazzmaster PUps

Post by voided3 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:49 pm

I committed the ultimate sin; I had a set of Fender AV65 pickups in my CP Jazzmaster but I couldn't stand the noise on gigs, even when using a power conditioner, full copper shielding, nice cables, etc., so I swapped them for DiMarzio DP402 Virtual Vintage Blues Strat pickups stuffed under the Jazzmaster covers (still with the factory CTS 1 meg pots). Result? It sounds more or less identical (in fact, the stagger improved string balance), just with no noise at all, and at half the price of any noiseless pickups designed for the Jazzmaster. Blasphemy, I know, but the fatter tonal characteristics of these particular pickups combined with the 1 meg pots make them decidedly Jazzmaster-y, especially since they are mounted in one.

Science_Penguin
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Science_Penguin » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:43 am

I wholeheartedly approve, I love it when the rules of tone get broken.

Question: have you ever demoed it for Jazzmaster purists without telling them what's under the covers? And if so, could they tell the difference?

voided3
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by voided3 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:55 pm

Science_Penguin wrote:I wholeheartedly approve, I love it when the rules of tone get broken.

Question: have you ever demoed it for Jazzmaster purists without telling them what's under the covers? And if so, could they tell the difference?
I have not, but I may make a YouTube video of it sometime. I'll make sure to post it here should that happen.

Science_Penguin
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Science_Penguin » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:48 am

Awesome! I'll keep an eye out for that.

Okay, another question- sorry if it seems like I'm prying, but I'm really curious cause I kind of want to do this myself- do you still have the rhythm circuit connected to all that?

voided3
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by voided3 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:46 pm

Science_Penguin wrote:Awesome! I'll keep an eye out for that.

Okay, another question- sorry if it seems like I'm prying, but I'm really curious cause I kind of want to do this myself- do you still have the rhythm circuit connected to all that?
I do not; I chose to disconnect it when I swapped the stock pickups for the AV65's initially. I honestly like the sound of it, but it sounded identical to the "lead circuit" with the tone at "3" so I decided I'd rather lose the roughly two feet of unshielded wiring inside the guitar. That said, now that I'm running noiseless pickups, I may reconnect it some day out of curiosity (I left all of the components in place, just desoldered the wiring and capped it with heat shrink tubing).

effmylife
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by effmylife » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:31 pm

I apologize, I know this is an old post, but I'm working on putting some Dimarzio noiseless Strat pickups in my JM as well. Do you have any sound clips of your guitar with the DP402's?

voided3 wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:46 pm
Science_Penguin wrote:Awesome! I'll keep an eye out for that.

I do not; I chose to disconnect it when I swapped the stock pickups for the AV65's initially. I honestly like the sound of it, but it sounded identical to the "lead circuit" with the tone at "3" so I decided I'd rather lose the roughly two feet of unshielded wiring inside the guitar. That said, now that I'm running noiseless pickups, I may reconnect it some day out of curiosity (I left all of the components in place, just desoldered the wiring and capped it with heat shrink tubing).