GFS humbucker wiring question

For help with setups and other technical issues.
MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

GFS humbucker wiring question

Post by MKR » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:58 am

Hey guys so i am thinking about installing a GFS liverpool 'tron humbucker in the neck position of my telecaster. I have had one sitting around for years and i have a spare pickguard so why not. If i don't like it i can always switch back right?

Question: The GFS is wired for coil splitting. It's got 4 leads + a ground. actually it has 2 ground wires (why?)

Anyways, i do not want to wire it for coil splitting.... i just want to straight up connect it as if it was a 2 lead pickup.

How do i do this?

Do i connect all 3 hot leads to the switch at the same place and then the 2 ground wires to ground on pot?

The wiring diagram isn't really helpful.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: GFS humbucker wiring question

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:06 am

MKR wrote:Do i connect all 3 hot leads to the switch at the same place and then the 2 ground wires to ground on pot?
No, going from hazy memory of using a GFS retrotron and the wiring diagram at http://guitarfetish.com/assets/images/U ... gram-1.pdf you want to;

- Twist red and white leads together (and tape off to prevent shorts)

- Green is the hot lead, solder to switch.

- Black and the silver braid both get connected to ground.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: GFS humbucker wiring question

Post by MKR » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:13 am

andy_tchp wrote:
MKR wrote:Do i connect all 3 hot leads to the switch at the same place and then the 2 ground wires to ground on pot?
No, going from hazy memory of using a GFS retrotron and the wiring diagram at http://guitarfetish.com/assets/images/U ... gram-1.pdf you want to;

- Twist red and white leads together (and tape off to prevent shorts)

- Green is the hot lead, solder to switch.

- Black and the silver braid both get connected to ground.
awesome. thanks!