Can I change Jazzmaster pickguard without a setup?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
JustLo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Can I change Jazzmaster pickguard without a setup?

Post by JustLo » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:21 pm

So I had my OTM Thinskin jazzmaster setup with a staytrem bridge and I had them throw on a black pickguard while they were at it. Should've just left it mint, can't stand the black. The guitar is setup perfect but took like 2 weeks to get done so I really don't want to have to take it back to them just to switch guards.

My questions is this. Can I swap out pick guards without messing up the setup? Or should I just leave it as is since it's setup perfect right now. Thanks in advance.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Can I change Jazzmaster pickguard without a setup?

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:22 pm

Sort of. If you don't mess with the bridge, it'll just slide out and then slide in the same way, if you use the same strings you'll get very close.

The problem will be the pickups, they are screwed into the pickguard, so be sure to measure the distance from the strings as you have it now very clearly, and set the pickups to that same exact height.

In practice, though, I think you'll find the setup has drifted slightly. The neck being off tension for so long might shift slightly, and I find that whenever I do this sort of thing that the guitar just doesn't come back exactly the same way as it did before. I don't always know why. Some of it could be because I all of a sudden care and am looking more closely at things.

Don't be scared of a setup drifting, though. That's what guitars and all other instruments do. You can't avoid it, you need to learn how to deal with it, be it doing the work yourself, or paying someone else to. It'll happen whether you want it to or not. The only factor you can control is you.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:51 pm

What do you mean the pickups are screwed into the pickguard?
This is an excellent rectangle

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:13 pm

Oh, that's right, they aren't on a Jazzmaster, are they? Maybe I was thinking of the Gibson Sonex. Well, that would have been some great advice otherwise, you'll have to admit. Let's just gloss over that.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:39 am

You can change Jazzmaster pickguards without taking off the strings -- You just have to loosen them enough to remove the bridge. The setup will be unchanged afterward as long as you do not change the bridge height or angle. There are some youtube videos showing how to do it. It isn't difficult or anything to worry about.

rkharper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rkharper » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:57 am

#1. don't be scared
#2. just take it off, anyone with a screwdriver can do it
#3. put the new one in
#4. set it up on your own, it's no rocketscience!
#5. if you're worried about any points between 2. & 4. , #1 applies.