Jazzmaster Pickup Balance

For help with setups and other technical issues.
jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster Pickup Balance

Post by jorri » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:25 am

The balance of my JM-V and JM-90, and Strat middle pickup on my warmoth JM....is fine in in-between settings.

The middle setting sounds like a jazzmaster middle setting and the positions with the strat sound like strat settings. They have been set at about the same distance from the strings whilst pushing down at the last fret. This still gets the most comb filtering, compared to e.g. setting the jm90 lower, so I believe that's just how they sum together as parallel resistance/inductance. I also have a series neck+middle mode, where i can then turn on the bridge pickup and it sounds like a 'middle' setting too.

So the problem is less about the summing.....Instead the bridge is definitely a 'solo' pickup that can distort most gain stages when the neck doesn't. And the strat pickup is more like an 'acoustic' type pickup that is much quieter (and it sounds pretty acoustic in those 'strat' settings with a 1meg pot).....so i think balance is more important in regards to how it sounds between solo'd pickups.
I like different gains happening though, so it works for me.

Dan_Q
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dan_Q » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:46 am

MechaBulletBill wrote:Why not Mojo? I've not tried them myself but people really rate them.
With them being made in the US, I have the added hassle that comes with that, if I'm not going for a big name like Duncan or Fender, then I'd rather get ones that are in the UK if possible.

I've now ordered a pair of Alnico 2 Vintage 58's from the creamery- so that's it- decision made. Thanks again for all your advice. It means a lot :)
The balance of my JM-V and JM-90, and Strat middle pickup on my warmoth JM....is fine in in-between settings.

The middle setting sounds like a jazzmaster middle setting and the positions with the strat sound like strat settings. They have been set at about the same distance from the strings whilst pushing down at the last fret. This still gets the most comb filtering, compared to e.g. setting the jm90 lower, so I believe that's just how they sum together as parallel resistance/inductance. I also have a series neck+middle mode, where i can then turn on the bridge pickup and it sounds like a 'middle' setting too.

So the problem is less about the summing.....Instead the bridge is definitely a 'solo' pickup that can distort most gain stages when the neck doesn't. And the strat pickup is more like an 'acoustic' type pickup that is much quieter (and it sounds pretty acoustic in those 'strat' settings with a 1meg pot).....so i think balance is more important in regards to how it sounds between solo'd pickups.
I like different gains happening though, so it works for me.
Sounds very interesting :) As said earlier in the thread, I haven't experienced a stock spec JM yet so I'll see how I get on with the matched pair. If I decide the guitar needs to be more versatile then a hot bridge pickup does sound like an option, cheers ;)

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:44 am

I thought Mojo Pickups were UK based? http://www.mojopickups.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It says right there "made in Great Britain"

Dan_Q
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dan_Q » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:08 am

Apologies! I'm wondering if when I searched I hit the "mojotone" site, thinking it was them :wacko: good interwebZ work there Dan. :blush:

Well, I ordered the creamery ones last thursday after the deal on the duncans failed, a shame as these look like a good option also 8) do you have them mechanicalbulletbill?

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:26 am

I've never tried them, but I see only good things about them.

Dan_Q
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dan_Q » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:21 am

that's cool man. cheers for the heads up :)