Is my ideal Jag tone possible with Seymour Duncan pickups?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
BurtSampson
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Is my ideal Jag tone possible with Seymour Duncan pickups?

Post by BurtSampson » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:24 pm

I have a VM Jag, and I'm looking to replace the pickups. I've been going back and forth with SD's demo videos and I can't decide which ones to get. Ideally, I would have a tone that preserves the Jag's character while also is good for fuzzy, shoegazey, Sonic Youth-like tone. I want bright and defined while also not being too twangy and maybe having a bit of weight at high distortion levels (probably nothing humbucker like though, don't really play any crunchy metal and I don't want a muddy tone)

Should I go with a set of the same, or would it be safe to blend say, a Hot in the bridge and an Antiquity II in the neck? SD also appeals to me because I'm looking to spend no more than around 170 for a set.

I'm also considering a set of the 65 AVRI pickups because those are cheapest, but I dunno if they have the output I want or not.

blackbox
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Is my ideal Jag tone possible with Seymour Duncan pickup

Post by blackbox » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:53 pm

The AV65 Jag pickups are very good, and quite reasonably priced. I play a similar type of music, and I find the pickups in my AV65 Jag do everything I want from them.

BurtSampson
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BurtSampson » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:53 am

Those do seem a lot more reasonably priced...

Francer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Francer » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:56 pm

Yep, i've got AV65 ones in my CIJ Jag and I love the tone of them, can't offer comparisons with other pickups, but I don't feel the need to keep looking anymore, I'm sticking with AV65s. One thing I did notice, they seem very sensitive to height adjustments, if you get some make sure you experiment with the height to make sure you're getting the best out of them.

There's a few AV65 Jag demos on YouTube, listen to them and see what you think.

George L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by George L » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:26 am

I think Antiquities II are over priced
Hard to choose between SD SJAG-1 and Fender pure vintage (both sets reasonably priced)

DanyoSound
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DanyoSound » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:29 am

I have Antiquity IIs and I like them. But Sonic Youth is really about the Jazzmaster pickups, rather than Jaguar pickups. Sometimes they Jaguars, too; and then I'd go Antiquity II, or you might try Mojotone Knockout pickups. They're like P90s in a single coil size. They're a bit dark though, without as much treble as a Jaguar or Jazzmaster pickup, even with 1 meg pots.

These Novak Jazzmaster pickups FOR Jaguar are expensive, but they'll do the trick.

http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/JMx-Jag.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Offsets and flangers

Ben17e
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ben17e » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:17 pm

I highly recommend Rose pickups. They are inexpensive and he will meet your specs. Ken is no fuss and produces a lively pickup. One thing to mention is He believes in thin wax potting for a lively sound so if you want to play with high gain just let him know.