Japanese Bass VI (2012), off-center tremolo plate

For help with setups and other technical issues.
thomaskyhn
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Japanese Bass VI (2012), off-center tremolo plate

Post by thomaskyhn » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:19 pm

The tremolo plate on my Japanese Bass VI (2012) appears to be a little off-center, with the result that the tremolo collet rubs against the B string. Has anyone tried moving a tremolo plate – any recommendations? I assume you need to fill the existing screw holes in the body and drill new ones; what would you use to fill the holes with?

ddrrll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Japanese Bass VI (2012), off-center tremolo plate

Post by ddrrll » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:04 am

I've got the same issue with a MIJ bass vi. I assumed it was the narrow string spacing of the MIJ trem or the slightly larger diameter of the staytrem collet causing the rubbing. Maybe if could be off center though?
Insert witty signature here

captdusty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by captdusty » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:30 am

You are certain it is the whole plate, and not just the moving part to which the strings attach? I had hoped maybe you could just give that part a little jerk to one side. Or possible, by slightly elongating or relocating the hole for the spring tension screw, get it to shift a bit. After all, the slot at the back of the plate does leave a little wiggle room.

Couple more questions:

1.Could you take a photo from directly above? Maybe with the bridge in the shot as well? It might give us a better visual reference for just how far out of alignment it is.

2. I may have already asked, but do have any issue with how the strings line up on the fretboard? If so, maybe it's the placement of the bridge that is the problem. (A harder one to fix, though.)

(I've been commenting on your plight on the Facebook group, btw - I'm Paul.)

thomaskyhn
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by thomaskyhn » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:32 am

Thanks for your replies. I won't be home for the next week, so I'm unable to take any more photos for now. But it does indeed look like the whole tremolo plate is off-center – the tremolo lock doesn't sit in middle between the D and G strings.

Right away, I'd say that the low E string is a little closer to the edge of the fretboard than the high E string, but it may just appear so because of the thickness of the strings.

When I'm back home again, I'll try and measure the alignment – fretboard/bridge/tremolo plate – properly.

Antoon
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Antoon » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:13 pm

Slightly moving the whole trem assembly seems like a real PITA to me, which i would only attempt if all else has failed. Can't you just move the bridge/saddles a bit to the side?

tatotateman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tatotateman » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:31 am

Check to see if the high e side of your bridge is lower than the low e. I had that issue on my 2012 bass VI, and that was the solution.