What else do you do when changing strings

For help with setups and other technical issues.
andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What else do you do when changing stings

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:44 am

sunburster wrote:I never have to adjust intonation, neck relief, etc. when changing strings. I just change one at a time with the same set that was on there, and put each string in the same groove on the saddle. I do check the intonation after tuning up, but I've never had it go out - if it does go out on a string, it's easy to fix (anyone with a screwdriver and a tuner can do it in a few minutes). I change strings on each guitar every two months or so, though I should do it every month as that is when I start to hear the tone become duller.

If the fretboard needs an oil or the frets need a polish, I will do that, but that's like once a year tops.

You only need to adjust the relief when you notice too much forward or back bow. I noticed too much forward bow recently on my AV65 Jag. 1/4 turn of the truss rod, restrung the guitar, and the intonation was still spot on, but the fret buzz was gone. Easy peasy.
^ My answer is exactly the same as this, except I don't own an AV65 Jag, but an AVRI 62. It hasn't needed any adjustment since I set it up right after it arrived a few years ago, as nothing has moved, courtesy of a small application of Loctite blue where it needs it. Likewise my Jazzmaster.

My G&L ASAT needs a small truss rod adjustment every couple of years. I haven't had the G&L SC-3 long enough to know how often (or if) it'll need much in the way of truss rod adjustment as the seasons/humidity changes, but the neck feels pretty stiff.

I would advise avoiding overuse of 'lemon oil' type products; some of these are loaded with silicon, waxes (which can gum up the fretboard further) and solvents which could start to dissolve adhesives in the fret slots or binding. Once a year, sparingly, should be fine.

If you believe your fretboard to be constantly 'too dry' you need to be looking at humidification solutions, not dousing it in 'oil' which could contain anything but.

I apply a tiny amount of 'bore oil' sold for woodwind instruments (sold for about $5 a bottle which should last...a couple of decades) after I've done a fret level/recrown or polished the frets on anything with a rosewood board. This is only to help clean off the dust and make it look nice for a few hours, I don't believe this really 'conditions' the wood or increases the moisture content on a large slab of rosewood like a guitar fretboard. As far as I know this is just food-grade mineral oil sold in a conveniently-small-for-clarinet-or-oboe-cases bottle.

The only other oil these fretboards have is the oil from my fingertips and the oil already within the (naturally oily) rosewood.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:55 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
jorri wrote:usually a full setup, stuff shifts on any guitar, but especially on even the most well set up jazzmaster...it might not get to playability issues, but i'd rather get it back those few 1000th inch into spec...
Once you've adjusted the truss then often everything else needs adjusting to me, its knock-on effect.
But since the weather changes between 1-3 months of a string change, and since i have feeler guages and measurements i prefer, it takes a few minutes so why not!
I used to never keep the same set either, so its a habit. I'm settled on NYXL atm but still often change the guages though as there are 3 sets that fit a similar but slightly different tension; like now i'm in drop C on the 6th string at least a lot so I get 12-60 even though i'm setting up in standard tuning instead of the usual 12 or "11 with heavy bottom" sets.

I tend to give it some lemon oil action too. I've done this for years without ill affects, at some points more than is advised, although i still wouldn't advise that because its just not necessary. usually its every 2 or 3 string changes which is a good few months.

This is what I was curious about - surprised to not see this answer more common. I'd dedicated myself to learning how to actually set up a guitar last year but then... I just never did? I bought feeler gauges, the little 1/16 ruler guys use, etc. but I just never took the time to practice doing it and, weirdly, I'm really kind of anxious about it. I don't want to spend $35-$75 every few months, and obviously want to know how to maintain my own stuff, but knowing where to start (which measurements/adjustements to do first and what to do next, and following that, etc.) is just so daunting and when I actually think about doing it I start getting stressed and just end up not doing it. So now that I've put off changing these strings as long as possible, and now that there are new ones on there but they don't feel the same or they're making weird noises/vibrations that they weren't before... I'm just finally realizing that I need to dive in and learn what the fuck I'm supposed to be doing.

Best place to start is seriously the Fender Guide on setting up guitars.
From there I just changed the measurements to taste a little, based on buzz, preference etc. Usually a good step higher than that guide advises, but its what i started with, then maybe added .004" and tried it out. Wrote it down, and now a setup is <5 minute thing...
Starting with truss rod, then action, intonation then the pickups and things like tremolo screw.
As others say its not essential, its more because its quick, and I'd rather keep it reset than do a huge setup another time with massive adjustments.
People complain about the "guitar" lemon oils, but the only time i've had problems is using pure lemon oil. Kyser just contains something like Naptha and Lemon Oil, so its a good cleaning medium...

cbrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cbrown » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:06 am

mackerelmint wrote:I do the macarena.
Does this work best when changing strings on four guitars at the same time?

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:50 am

Thanks dudes!

RE: Fender setup guide - Mike Adams told me when I'd asked about it that it was more of a guide for the factory setups that are done and the measurements are off (as was mentioned here already). I just want to be able to look at something with a very precise, almost "for dummies" level of instrutctions and what the measurements should be.

Confused why the ball ends are sitting so close inside of the tremolo plate. I played with the Squier tremolo I had lying around and found that it wasn't the set screw being too far down, though who knows because it wasn't strung up. It's buzzy as hell too and the strings feel real loose compared to how they felt before I restrung it.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:10 pm

Its a useful guide, a good starting point...I don't know how it can be that off when its used as a starting point.
You need a starting point when beginning to do setups IMO otherwise there's no reference point whatsoever.
They base action on radius, which is not that sensible i'd go for the biggest ratio. And since there are no jazzmaster pickups, generally the spec for texas specials is close to what most people have...

I have 12 thou on the truss, 2-2.4mm action, 2.4-2.8 on pickups...easy enough to remember, its probably closer than the stated spec. seems conveniently rounded, but i've tried various setups completely without measurements nd this is where i got to out of preference.. And now everyone who picks up my guitar seems to like how it plays... I just thought it was a suggestion to make it easier to replicate, and it outlines everything you need to do...
so from there if you get buzz high up the neck increase the action, low down increase the truss rod...etc... this might be the only thing left to mention of how to adapt it to taste that it doesn't include..

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:15 pm

but specifics for the jazzmaster, the amount of times me or others posted a general setup guide or jazzmaster specific info must be in the 100s on this forum....I'm surprised not one of them has been stickied, since they are difficult to search for...

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:09 pm

cbrown wrote:
mackerelmint wrote:I do the macarena.
Does this work best when changing strings on four guitars at the same time?
I dunno, I'll have to try it.

I do know that when I change Stings, I like to change out my Stews and Andys at the same time.
This is an excellent rectangle

cbrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cbrown » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:20 am

Whoop whoop!

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:47 am

I posted this from my phone so autocorrect.

Gonna dedicate some time this weekend to teaching myself how to get this done. It's annoying that I keep seeing stuff about how when you adjust the truss did you should only do it like 1/4 a turn and then not touch it for a few days/a week. Thanks for the measurement suggestions too!

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:01 am

Whenever I change the strings on my guitar, I always make sure that I take the old strings off, one by one, and then I locate my new strings. That's the first step, don't skip that.

Then I take the strings from the package, and then my son Max usually looks over from whatever food he's been spilling and runs over and takes the strings or the guitar or the chair I'm sitting on from me. If I don't let him have it, he'll start crying like a crazy person so I just hand it over. He runs off with the strings, or gets the guitar all sticky so I have to put it away, or he gets on the chair and climbs over me anyway. I give up temporarily.

Then at that point it's quite likely that Baby Henry needs a diaper changed, and my wife glares at me until I cheerfully volunteer to change that diaper. "But I'm in the middle of something," is what a stupid person would say, and what a stupid person did say until I learned to be a little less stupid. So I take Baby Henry into the bedroom, and get his diaper off, but the baby wipes aren't on the nightstand that has the alarm clock on it that I look at all night instead of sleeping. But I don't notice that until I get the diaper off, and am now- pretty literally- up shit creek without a paddle.

Baby Henry decides it's time to work on his core by rolling around.

At some point the panic in my voice inspires Max to come in and start doing something dangerous, and beads of sweat fall from my forehead onto Baby Henry as he rolls around in his own excrement while I yell at Max to "sit safe", an order he has never acknowledged in any way, and then my wife brings me the God damn wet wipes that should have been on the nightstand anyway but she had to put them in the diaper bag because Max didn't nap and kept Baby Henry up all day and my wife agreed to baby sit for Jenny even though Mrs. Larry is totally exhausted herself with her own children and I wonder if I could claim there's an emergency at work of some kind.

Baby Henry has, at this point, suffered such an incredible blowout that I think there's no alternative other than a complete reset in the form of a bath. I draw the bath, my wife hassles me about the temperature of the bath but I tell her what does she know, and then I get in the bath with Baby Henry. Baby Henry looks at me and gives me his big smile that makes me feel everything is all right. It's nice and peaceful in the bath for about ten seconds, until Max comes in and begins hurling his toys in the bath at me and Baby Henry and splashing the water and then Henry cries, his shrieks reverberating off the cheap tile wall of the bathroom wall and piercing my very soul.

My wife comes in and tells me that I might as well get Max washed also, so I agree, but she doesn't want Max to bathe in the same water as Baby Henry, so I drain the water and sit there in the tub like a fool, then I fill it all back up while Max yells about why isn't the bath ready. Then I realize that Max Max is a big guy now, and doesn't need me in the bath anymore, so I get out, and put Max in. Max give me that smile that makes me feel that everything is all right, and then he yells and splashes water all over me and everything else while I tell him to "sit safe" pathetically and try and read about some asshole's guitar on this here guitar forum.

Finally I have to take Max out of the bath and he doesn't wanna so he cries and howls and then tells me he wants "mum manoo bowl" which I interpret as being a bowl of yogurt and fruit, so I chop up some fresh strawberries and mix those and the yogurt with honey, cardamom, cinnamon and vanilla but I guess I get it wrong because he won't eat even a single bite of it instead chasing the cat and shrieking in a supersonic fashion.

At this point my wife storms out of the bedroom with Baby Henry and says to me accusingly that Henry won't sleep. I used to protest that I wasn't really at fault with that, but now I'm numb to the core, so I just take Henry mutely and load him in the stroller. Fuck, I dunno. I take Henry down the street to the supermarket where I buy two 25 oz cans of cheap domestic beer for three dollars, and this cheers me up, and then I walk around with Baby Henry in the hot summer night until my wife sends me a text an hour later telling me that Max is asleep and I can come home. Luckily, Henry has fallen asleep, and if I'm really careful, I can get him up the stairs and right to bed and then I can spend a little time with my wife, which I seem to remember liking very much.

But Henry wakes up of course, and my wife is angry but what can she say, and she takes Baby Henry and drags herself off to bed, claiming that she'll come out and watch a TV show with me but she won't, she just falls asleep nursing Baby Henry.

I sit down with a 25 ounce can of domestic beer, try and open that as quietly as I can so no one wakes up. I look down at the floor, and there, amidst all the wooden blocks, toy trucks, and half eaten bananas from breakfast, is my set of guitar strings. So, I have located the guitar strings again.

That's step one. The rest can wait until tomorrow. I drink my domestic tallboy in silence and darkness, alone.

And that's how I change guitar strings.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

jam007
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jam007 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:14 am

Larry Mal wrote:Whenever I change the strings on my guitar, I always make sure that I take the old strings off, one by one, and then I locate my new strings. That's the first step, don't skip that.

Then I take the strings from the package, and then my son Max usually looks over from whatever food he's been spilling and runs over and takes the strings or the guitar or the chair I'm sitting on from me. If I don't let him have it, he'll start crying like a crazy person so I just hand it over. He runs off with the strings, or gets the guitar all sticky so I have to put it away, or he gets on the chair and climbs over me anyway. I give up temporarily.

Then at that point it's quite likely that Baby Henry needs a diaper changed, and my wife glares at me until I cheerfully volunteer to change that diaper. "But I'm in the middle of something," is what a stupid person would say, and what a stupid person did say until I learned to be a little less stupid. So I take Baby Henry into the bedroom, and get his diaper off, but the baby wipes aren't on the nightstand that has the alarm clock on it that I look at all night instead of sleeping. But I don't notice that until I get the diaper off, and am now- pretty literally- up shit creek without a paddle.

At some point the panic in my voice inspires Max to come in and start doing something dangerous, and beads of sweat fall from my forehead onto Baby Henry as he rolls around in his own excrement while I yell at Max to "sit safe", an order he has never acknowledged in any way, and then my wife brings me the God damn wet wipes that should have been on the nightstand anyway but she had to put them in the diaper bag because Max didn't nap and kept Baby Henry up all day and my wife agreed to baby sit for Jenny even though Mrs. Larry is totally exhausted herself with her own children and I wonder if I could claim there's an emergency at work of some kind.

Baby Henry has, at this point, suffered such an incredible blowout that I think there's no alternative other than a complete reset in the form of a bath. I draw the bath, my wife hassles me about the temperature of the bath but I tell her what does she know, and then I get in the bath with Baby Henry. Baby Henry looks at me and gives me his big smile that makes me feel everything is all right. It's nice and peaceful in the bath for about ten seconds, until Max comes in and begins hurling his toys in the bath at me and Baby Henry and splashing the water and then Henry cries, his shrieks reverberating off the cheap tile wall of the bathroom wall and piercing my very soul.

My wife comes in and tells me that I might as well get Max washed also, so I agree, but she doesn't want Max to bathe in the same water as Baby Henry, so I drain the water and sit there in the tub like a fool, then I fill it all back up while Max yells about why isn't the bath ready. Then I realize that Max Max is a big guy now, and doesn't need me in the bath anymore, so I get out, and put Max in. Max give me that smile that makes me feel that everything is all right, and then he yells and splashes water all over me and everything else while I tell him to "sit safe" pathetically and try and read about some asshole's guitar on this here guitar forum.

Finally I have to take Max out of the bath and he doesn't wanna so he cries and howls and then tells me he wants "mum manoo bowl" which I interpret as being a bowl of yogurt and fruit, so I chop up some fresh strawberries and mix those and the yogurt with honey, cardamom, cinnamon and vanilla but I guess I get it wrong because he won't eat even a single bite of it instead chasing the cat and shrieking in a supersonic fashion.

At this point my wife storms out of the bedroom with Baby Henry and says to me accusingly that Henry won't sleep. I used to protest that I wasn't really at fault with that, but now I'm numb to the core, so I just take Henry mutely and load him in the stroller. Fuck, I dunno. I take Henry down the street to the supermarket where I buy two 25 oz cans of cheap domestic beer for three dollars, and this cheers me up, and then I walk around with Baby Henry in the hot summer night until my wife sends me a text an hour later telling me that Max is asleep and I can come home. Luckily, Henry has fallen asleep, and if I'm really careful, I can get him up the stairs and right to bed and then I can spend a little time with my wife, which I seem to remember liking very much.

But Henry wakes up of course, and my wife is angry but what can she say, and she takes Baby Henry and drags herself off to bed, claiming that she'll come out and watch a TV show with me but she won't, she just falls asleep nursing Baby Henry.

I sit down with a 25 ounce can of domestic beer, try and open that as quietly as I can so no one wakes up. I look down at the floor, and there, amidst all the wooden blocks, toy trucks, and half eaten bananas from breakfast, is my set of guitar strings. So, I have located the guitar strings again.

That's step one. The rest can wait until tomorrow. I drink my domestic tallboy in silence and darkness, alone.

:D Shit man, sounds exactly like my house! I have four.......
"Better to fight for something than live for nothing."
General S. Patton Commander 3rd U.S Army

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:38 am

I'm the drunkest I've been for a long while as (as Murph would say) 'my life is a complete shitshow' but that might be the greatest post of all time.

Mechanical Birds wrote:Gonna dedicate some time this weekend to teaching myself how to get this done. It's annoying that I keep seeing stuff about how when you adjust the truss did you should only do it like 1/4 a turn and then not touch it for a few days/a week.
Yeah...nah, that's bollocks too.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What else do you do when changing strings

Post by Mechanical Birds » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:22 pm

Larry that sounds fucking horrible I can't believe you found the time to type all of that.

chiller_instinct
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chiller_instinct » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:16 pm

Larry Mal wrote:Whenever I change the strings on my guitar, I always make sure that I take the old strings off, one by one, and then I locate my new strings. That's the first step, don't skip that.

Best. Fucking. Post. Ever. (because I can relate although I've only got 1; a 2 year old daredevil acrobatic son)

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What else do you do when changing strings

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:28 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:Larry that sounds fucking horrible I can't believe you found the time to type all of that.
No, I meant it to be funny. It's wonderful. I'm happier than I've ever been, without question. Here's me and my Big Guy today listening to "Bing Bong" by the Super Furry Animals, he likes that song and the video has balls being kicked.

String changes can wait.

Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.